Image Editing

Ski_Me

I wanted to bind my company logo but you can't bind an image in AutoCAD so I did the next best thing and did a INSERTOBJ command. I pull up the good ole paint brush program by Microsoft and edited the image from there. Compared to the attached BIT map it doesn't look that bad but it is still a bit fuzzy. Short of dropping $100 on paint shop pro or adding more money to my Adobe account to get their image editing module is there some other image editing software I could use for BIT maps?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ski_Me

• f700es

• SLW210

• maratovich

For many years I've used a graphics editor named PhotoFiltre, which has the main benefit of being free. It doesn't have all the features of PhotoShop, but it does what I need it to do.

Edit: second choice would be Inkscape (ninja'd below). GIMP has the advantage of source code you can modify if you're feeling adventurous.

Edited by CyberAngel

Did anyone mention that inkscape is free, it has a bit of a learning curve, but I use it often and it also has quite a good following with youtube videos, getting just the right settings for tracing can be hit and miss, but once you get there it exports to dxf.

Open the image in a photo editor (like Paint) then select all, copy then paste in AutoCAD.

Like others I convert our Logos to Vector with Illustrator or Inkscape, looks much better.

Ski_Me

Who told you that you can not save the image inside the drawing?

Can !

Attach your image and sample file.

You can place an image in a drawing but it's an x-ref so if I use another computer, which I do since I work from home sometimes, the x-ref is missing. That means if I want to submit a drawing for review I have to go to the office and do it since the x-ref resides on that computer not the one at my house. If I wont to bind the image then I have to convert it to a format that AutoCAD can use to bind the object.

I see you found multiple answers to your question OP, but I feel it's worth mentioning Pixlr Editor: https://pixlr.com/editor/ as it is the easiest (also free) in-browser image editor comparable to Photoshop with a respectable amount of tools and saving options.

That, in tandem with the previously suggested tracing of the original file in CAD has served me wonders in the past. :beer:

You can place an image in a drawing but it's an x-ref so if I use another computer, which I do since I work from home sometimes, the x-ref is missing. That means if I want to submit a drawing for review I have to go to the office and do it since the x-ref resides on that computer not the one at my house. If I wont to bind the image then I have to convert it to a format that AutoCAD can use to bind the object.

Not true at all, please see post #12.

I know how to insert an object into a drawing. What I'm saying is that I want a better looking image than what ms paint can give me. If I can convert my bit map to a dxf then I can bind it to my drawing and it will look better than a scanned bit map.

I know how to insert an object into a drawing. What I'm saying is that I want a better looking image than what ms paint can give me. If I can convert my bit map to a dxf then I can bind it to my drawing and it will look better than a scanned bit map.

Still not following you.

At first you state you can only insert an image as an Xref (not true), please see the steps for this in my other post.

The easiest route to insert Raster Image as AutoCAD entities would be Raster Design, not sure what that would cost or how well it works, but there is a Free Trial.

You have already been provided with free Raster to Vector information, which isn't really as easy as others here make it sound, you'll need some practice to get the results you desire. Lots of tutorials around though, to help.

In many instances scanned images for Logos look pretty good at any decent resolution. Why were you given a low resolution image? What I find confusing is most Logos are designed in Vector, why can't the original Vector be supplied?

If the image is of low quality now, converting to Vector will still be a lot of work. I'll take a look at it if you want and see if I can get it looking better in Photoshop and Illustrator, but you really should check to see if there is already a better resolution image or a vector file available.