Need help with understanding annotations

Is there a video guide or tutorial on understanding annotations?

I want all my text in model space to be a height of 40 but in layouts, i need them to be 5 regardless of scale in the view ports.

Is this possible? I always had trouble getting it right for some reason.

neuri I have been trying to answer your question for days but my computer keeps kicking me out. Ok so you stated you want a annotative ratio of 5:40 which is the same as 1:8 since 8*5=40. Now I know you said you want your paperspace text to be 5 no matter what the viewport scale but you have to think in terms of the size paper your going to output on. If your paper is big the text size will be to small, if your paper is small then your text size will be to big. So what you want is the ratio of your text in paperspace and modelspace to be the same no matter what the viewport scale is in paperspace. The easiest way to do this is to make sure that your annotative scale is always set to 1:8. The attached drawing has 2 layouts, one is 1:8 scale and the other is 1:16 in both cases the annotative scale is 1:8. Simply click on the viewport go to properties and you can see the viewport and the annotative scale. From here you can adjust the annotative scale.

Text annotative.dwg

If your paper is big the text size will be to small, if your paper is small then your text size will be to big. So what you want is the ratio of your text in paperspace and modelspace to be the same no matter what the viewport scale is in paperspace.

Drafting 101 says this is wrong. The OP has it right. The text size should be the same no matter the size of the paper, in this case 5.

Avoid the confusion and put all your text and dimensions in your layout instead of in model space. Just make sure dimensions are associative which is not the same as annotative.

Avoid the confusion and put all your text and dimensions in your layout instead of in model space. Just make sure dimensions are associative which is not the same as annotative.

Hi ReMark, in the interest of educating myself, what is the advantage of this besides being able to have absolute control on the text size? Wouldn't this only be beneficial to drawings with one sheet or maybe for details?

As a young drafter always looking to better my practice, I'm always looking to learn from those more experienced than myself. The surveying co. I work for has always told me that text and dimensions are for model space only (mainly due to the fact that our projects tend to be composed of multiple sheets) to keep things organized and clean.

Respectfully,

- IC

While the suggested method works for some, like myself, it would not be practical for others. That's why I usually state it depends on what field the person works in. I also recommend testing both methods then pick the one that works best for your situation.

I've done multi-sheet projects using the method I describe with no problems to speak of. Most of those were piping fabrication details. Since it appears that you operate in the civil world annotative scaling would probably be the preferred method.

Edited by ReMark