Problem drawing a wooden cart wheel

Simmy030

Although I have used Autocad. 2d for a few years I am new to 3D.

I am trying to draw the cart wheel shown in the color photo but I cannot draw the spoke properly. I have attached a drawing of the spoke with cross sections. As you can see the lower part is tear drop shaped but the upper half is rectangular. I have used the LOFT command to draw the lower teardrop shape with no problem but as you can see from the screen shots of realistic and wireframe views of the top transition from teardrop to rectangular, I hope, the left half of the upper end is OK but the right half does not match.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

attachment.php?attachmentid=62919&cid=1&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=62920&cid=1&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=62921&cid=1&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=62922&cid=1&stc=1

Whiskey-cart-for-forum.gif

Spoke-drawing-1.gif

Spoke-3D.gif

Spoke-2.gif

Welcome to CADTutor Simmy030. :)

A more accurate description, would be to say that you are having difficulty MODELING the cart wheel, as a drawing is typically a 2D representation of a 3D object.

I am not at my cad computer at the moment, but I would suggest using the SLICE command to create the flattened face at the transition.

There is a wealth of video tutorials online, and some good lessons on the Tutorials tab, here on the forum.

Give SLICE a try, read the commandline prompts, the better to understand the numerous available options.

Did you try reversing the selection of the lofted profiles? I suspect you first picked the teardrop profile followed by picking the more rectangular profile. Reverse the two picks and see what happens.

Thank you for your help. Attached is a screen shot of my progress so far. The hub is still to be refined.

As one half of the upper part of the spoke was OK I used the SLICE tool to cut it in half, discarded the unwanted half then mirrored and UNIONED the remaining part.

3D-wheel-1.gif

MOdeling this was more challenging than I thought it would be. I thought the problem was that the top profile started in a corner and the if it started midway lofting would give a better result. It did not.

I therefore decided to clip off some of the teardrop as can be seen in the sequence of images below. Using loft I created a surface from the truncated teardrop to the full top shape. I then used SURFSCULPT to turn it into a solid. I then created a network surface from the line at the top to the spline at the bottom, mirrored it and then added a couple of planes to define a watertight volume that was used by SURFSCULPT to create a solid. Finally, a Boolean union was used to combine the 2 solids.

spoke.jpg