• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• steven-g

• basty

• danellis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you make a slice through a tube you are left with an ellipse, the major axis is the width of the tube, and the minor is the height which you can take directly from the front view, (the bottom part of the outer edge would be flat).

Why not let AutoCAD do it for you? Create a 3D model of the pipe and extract the required 2D views using the Flatshot or ViewBase (a.k.a. - BaseView) commands.

When I was in civil, we drew pipe ends like so:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62937[/ATTACH]

I don't think the OP was asking about how to represent a pipe end. His question is a bit more specific.

When you make a slice through a tube you are left with an ellipse, the major axis is the width of the tube, and the minor is the height which you can take directly from the front view, (the bottom part of the outer edge would be flat).

And if the slice were made at a 45 degree angle the result would look how?

An example of a pipe that has been sliced at a sixty degree angle. Visual style is Conceptual. 2D views (upper) were extracted via Flatshot from the 3D models below. BTW... I did not access your zip file. Your angle may be different than mine.

SliceofPipe.jpg

Thats a trick question, at 45° it would look square :twisted:

Try google there should be some books around if you can get kindle versions they are generally cheap. This is high school class room stuff. There are some on-line courses.

How many picked up on the very subtle gotcha that was in the posted image I compliment Remark that he has seen it. Something a beginner would miss.

Try google there should be some books around if you can get kindle versions they are generally cheap. This is high school class room stuff. There are some on-line courses.

How many picked up on the very subtle gotcha that was in the posted image I compliment Remark that he has seen it. Something a beginner would miss.

I saw it, but assumed that it was a modeling anomaly, so was somewhat confused by subsequent representations, and talk about the straight edge.

Having cut a whole lot of tubing and pipes at miters on a band saw, I can't imagine why someone would want to do it that way, except of course, as BIGAL suggested as a gotcha. :beer:

I should think more nearly rectangular, would be closer to the mark (or should I say ReMark?) :beer:

Is there available any "technical drawing" forum around?

Why do you ask? You have all the resources that you need right here. Additionally, had you taken my advice you would have been able to definitively answer the question yourself. Well?

I agree with BIGAL. Find yourself a good old fashion technical drawing/drafting book. I've mentioned three or four good ones a number of times in the past.

Here are names of some of the books I have mentioned in the past...

1. Basic Technical Drawing by Spencer.

2. Engineering Drawing by French.

3. Technical Graphics Communication by Bertoline and Wiebe.

4. Technical Drawing with Engineering Graphics by Giesecke and Hill.

This should answer the question re: slicing a pipe at 45 degrees. The 2D representations were derived from a 3D solid model using the Flatshot command. Note that it does not include a flat edge as per the OP's original image at the beginning of this thread.

SliceofPipeat45.JPG

Is there available any "technical drawing" forum around?

This should be a no-brainer. Do an Internet search. On what you may ask? "Technical drawing forum" Here are three hits I got doing a similar search.

TechDwgForum.JPG

There are plenty more to choose from. The bad news is YOU have to make the effort not only to search but to investigate as well. We cannot do that for you. Find a forum that suits your needs and participate regularly. Got it? Good. Now go do it. Happy hunting.

A circle was my thought exactly except of course that in this case the OP introduced a bit of a flat edge on the OD of the pipe.

I couldn't decide whether that was an actual straight edge or a "display issue" (for want of a better phrase).

dJE