+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Default Checking Arc Tangencies

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hi All

Was hoping to get some braintrust opinions on what is the best way to check if two joining arcs are actually tangent to each other?

i feel like i should perhaps know but its 7:30pm on a Friday and my brain is fried.....

thank you all anyway!

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

I would start by drawing lines from the centres of the arcs to the endpoint of the arcs, and see if that made geometric sense.

Post an example drawing for folk to play with.

Computer Details
    rkmcswain's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Computer:
    HP ZBook 17
    CPU:
    i7-4810MQ @ 2.80 GHZ
    RAM:
    16GB
    Graphics:
    Nvidia Quadro K4100M
    Primary Storage:
    256GB SSD
    Secondary Storage:
    1TB SATA
    Monitor:
    (2) HP 23"
    Discipline
    Civil
    rkmcswain's Discipline Details
    Discipline
    Civil
    Details
    CAD Manager
    Using
    Civil 3D 2017

Star

In the first example, of the two red reverse curves - the green and cyan lines are constructed from the endpoint to the center of each arc.
    If those lines are parallel, the arcs are tangent.

In the second example, of the two red concentric curves - the green line is drawn from the center of the larger arc to the endpoint. If the centerpoint of the smaller arc lies exactly on this line (The circle represents the endpoint of the short radius) - then they are tangent.

R.K. McSwain
    CAD Panacea | twitter

Computer Details
    CyberAngel's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 10
    Discipline
    Architectural
    CyberAngel's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Civil Drafter
    Discipline
    Architectural
    Details
    Roofing and Waterproofing
    Using
    AutoCAD 2014

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    what is the best way to check if two joining arcs are actually tangent to each other?
    The Properties will tell you the angle of the arc at either end. If the angle at the end of one arc is the same as the beginning of the other, they're tangent. QED.
    breaking AutoCAD on a regular basis since 1991

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Thank you all for your tips n tricks, I will check it out when I'm back in the office.

Eldon, I've never done this before (used google drive)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lp...8PIdPS9Jw-lSFl

but hope it works...

Regards

United

Quantum Mechanic
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

I see your LT but in CIV3d if you make an alignment an option is check tangents.

Re compare two line angles, the accuracy of your units settings also needs to be as far as you can push it I drew two lines moved top point a very small amount, with units set to say 0.0 accuracy, the angle is 0.0 for both increasing reveals 0.0 v's 0.00309 so in practice is not tangential. It comes down to how close to 0.0000000 is acceptable.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Well thanks to you peeps ive luckily confirmed I do seem to have tangecies. Its bloody 3 arcs joining end to end! And luckily theyre all ok according to both the angles and centre line checkes mentioned above.

BIGAL, that sounds nifty, I actually use 12d for design however. Never used civil3d unfortunately. I see what your saying regarding angles, but I suppose for me (civil design) the construction tolerances are probably not capable of achieving that perfection anyway?

I am guilty now and then of accepting lesser standards though...trying to change that

Forum Deity
    Using
    AutoCAD 2002

Thank you for successfully posting a sample drawing.

I found some non-tangential points at the nosings of the traffic island. Otherwise all seemed fine.
    Attached Images

Quantum Mechanic
    Using
    Civil 3D 2016

For any one, drawing traffic islands is one of those things that have a few variables and it can take a couple of goes to get them right, there not locked in to exact dimensions rather a overall goal of length and taper lengths a few mm does not matter, when using fillet you often find that the island shortens so you have another go. The tolerance on true tangential is pretty good as the guy pouring the kerb uses his experience to take out the tiny blip. What is not obvious in image is there is another radius at the taper joint point hence the couple of goes to get it right.

The shape above should have true tangents, draw a center line add the two circles at correct total length, draw 2 parallel lines from big circle, draw line using tan from small circle to the intersection point of horizontal line, then fillet this intersection, this is where variability creeps in selecting that intersection point getting the shape right.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Discipline
    Civil
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Thanks again guys, unfortunately the layout for my job was done by some one else, and hence I do have some funny curve radiuses and things like the traffic island.

I'm a bit inexperienced myself so its been a lot of work for me and challenges, but ive enjoyed learning along the way. As a Civil Engineer, who works in design, curves, arcs and the works has been a huge weakness of mine, which this job had plenty of. I'm glad ive invested some time to get my head around the geometry side of things etc and whilst the theories are a little bit over my head, I can apply the principles now at least and make sure I run a few checks for tangency etc.

I know what you mean BIGAL, the shape you see there is the lip, I believe one must think about the what the radius will be at the back of kerb right? I think I went with the notion minimum 0.3m radiuses for back of kerb. What say you? I should look into redrawing that one I think. Its juts a bit awkward to get the orientation right as the intersecting roads are at angles not perpendicular too.

Cheers again all.