How to draw a specific angle from a tangent?

L-P

In the attachment, it can be seen in the first screen shot that I have drawn a line from the quadrant of the circle at an of 72 degrees.

However it can be seen from the second screen shot that when I try to draw an angle from the tangent it doesn't provide the facility to enter the angle in a box.

Is this not an option from the tangent?

Thanks.cad_angle.jpg

I've only been familiar with drawing tangents for a few months now, but wouldn't the angle of the line change the point where the line creates a tangent connection? Rendering the ability to change it's angle pointless if you're trying to keep the line/curve tangent?

I'm pretty sure, in this case, you'd have to use the rotate command with the centerpoint of the circle as your base point in order to change the angle of that line and keep it tangent, yeah?

Yeah, a tangent is always 90 degrees, If you try and alter it from that point then it is by definition no longer a tangent, and if you which to adjust the line from its free end then the tangent point will move, but always be 90 degrees. So yes the answer is it's not an option

If you type in the old way, starting with the "@" character, then you can enter a distance (say 190), then type in the ">" character, and it will allow you to enter the angle (say 45°)

If you turn off the on screen prompts and do it at the command line, the syntax is "@190.0

Thanks very much for the replies - much appreciated.

What I'm trying to do, and am having some difficulty with, is to draw the radius 5 circle at the bottom of the image then draw a line at an angle of 85 degrees.

Another radius 5 circle has a vertical distance of 42 units above.

Is it possible to do this whilst connecting the two circles via their tangents, not their quadrants?

http://i66.tinypic.com/2gufl3d.jpg[/img]"]2gufl3d.jpg

Line tan 1st circle tan 2nd circle.

Draw a line at 85 from the centre of the 1st circle then draw a horizontal line 42 above this is center of second circle where they cross.

I think I've been able to do that now.

I've drawn the lower rad5 circle.

Drew a longer than required line at angle of 85 from centre of this circle.

Drew a vertical line from centre of first circle down to its circumference.

Drew a horizontal line across to the right.

Drew a line of 42 vertically upwards.

Drew a line left until it intersected the diagonal line.

Drew 2nd circle centred on this intersection.

Finally drew a line from tangent to tangent.

9s3tap.jpg