Linetype File Missing

BIJI SAMUEL

Hi every one.:)oo:)

One year ago i have created a dedicated Linetype file(.lin) for my Utility Survey drawings.

I have saved that .lin file in to the support folder at C:drive and last 11 months i was using that with out any issues. Unfortunately when i was at Holiday someone else was using my PC and now i cant find that .lin file any more.

But in properties i can still find all linetypes and its NOT making any issues to change one normal linetype to those utility linetypes. But i simply missing that .lin File.

i have search in the C: drive with *.lin. i can find many .lin files except the one i have created.

Can any one help me to find that file please.

Many thanks

Biji Samuel

Linetypes.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• BIJI SAMUEL

• SLW210

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you misunderstood my post. But we'll put that aside for the moment.

What magic spell were you hoping to find that would somehow retrieve a .lin file you said you couldn't find despite searching your entire hard drive? Please explain.

BTW...if someone else used your computer over the holidays it's possible they may have copied over your version of acad.lin with an original version or they made a change to the support file search path.

Silence? OK. I know of at least three lisp routines that will retrieve linetype definitions from a drawing and write the definitions out to a new .lin file. But I suppose you wouldn't be interested in pursuing that possibility.

Make that four now. I just found another one.

Edited by ReMark

Did you ask the person that used your computer while you were away? Did they use your log in or their own? Check with IT.

Maybe it was renamed or moved to a network folder.

Other than that, you will need to recreate the linetypes.

How would anyone here know where your coworker put your file? I have 4 backup copies of my personal created .lin files.

Always make a backup when you create custom content as you never know when disaster might strike. What if your hard drive crashed and couldn't be revived?

Yes Re Mark, i know it was my mistake i did not keep a copy anywhere else.

i has got 28 different linetypes which took me a lot of time to create.

i do believe that, file is still in my Network or in my PC. Because i have no issues to use those linetypes in my drawings.

only thing is that how to find out.:o:o

Just because you can open a drawing that you did previous to going on holiday does NOT mean the linetype file you keep searching for is on your PC or on your network. If you sent one of your drawings to me I could open it and see the linetypes correctly displayed even though I do not have access to your custom linetype file. What I could NOT do is start a new drawing and expect to load the linetype definition file for one of your custom linetypes because I don't have a copy of Utility.lin. What I could do however is copy/paste from your drawing to my new drawing and then I would be able to utilize the custom linetype.

There is one exception. If your custom linetype(s) relied upon the existence of a shape file I would not see it displayed correctly on my screen.

Please attach a copy of one of your drawings that contains one or more of your custom linetypes. I need a .dwg file not an image file. Understand? Good. Now do it.

The lesson BIJI SAMUEL --- is that linetypes are not only stored in .LIN files. They are stored in any .DWG file in which they are loaded (or defined... .yes you can define a linetype without a .LIN file).

Now should have Autodesk included a utility to export linetype definitions to an external file? Sure, they could do that, but they are working on more important things. So Paul Turvill did this, about 18 years ago. You can find this utility here, along with some other goodies. Oh, and it's free.

You haven't been paying attention.

No I cannot FIND the Utility.lin file BUT I can recreate all the linetype definitions saved to a file bearing the same name as the drawing they were extracted from and given the .lin file extension. This file could then be renamed to anything I like (ex. - Utility.lin).

This all took less than a minute. And as I posted much earlier there are at least four different lisp routines that can do this simple task. I used the LINOUT.vlx routine I found over at the CADforums (Czech website).