ACAD 2002: CTRL + Left Click = "<Cycle on> <Cycle off>" - what is that?

vanowm

Hello.

I'm using ACAD 2002 and noticed when I hold CTRL and click on an empty space or on any objects that is not a [p]line it selects it and shows

Command:

Clicking on [p]line it shows

Command:
Cursor changes to point picking, but clicking doesn't do anything, I guess it asks me enter something?

I found some references to LEGACYCTRLPICK system variable, but it's not available in 2002.

Anyhow, what is this feature?

Thank you.

In old AutoCAD versions before Selection Cycling, using the Ctrl key was how you cycled through your selection, when your selection contained multiple objects on top of each other (probably better defined as multiple objects inside the pickbox)

LegacyCtrlPick is a system variable in AutoCAD versions with Selection Cycling that allows you to revert to the old way of using the Ctrl key.

(EDIT: I am talking about 2D selection here, 3D selection gets more complicated since there are various levels of faces, subentities, etc)

Edited by rkmcswain
add more data

Thank you very much, I see now how it works. And in my case very useful feature (3 years of struggling selecting needed overlapping object...), plus I don't have to zoom in to pick the right line!

From the Help file:-

To cycle through objects for selection

1.At the Select Objects prompt, hold down CTRL and click as near as possible to the object you want.

2.Keep clicking until the object you want is highlighted.

3.Press ENTER to select the object.