• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JDM4040

• rkmcswain

• BIGAL

• f700es

Welcome to CADTutor JDM4040.

Not legally, and if anybody claims otherwise, they are lying, or maybe just smarter than me. :beer:

Forum members will not assist in any pirating issues.

There are lots of threads describing free alternates to Autocad on the forum, do a search. :)

Subsequent posts have brought some alternate scenarios to light, and corrections to my blanket statement. :)

Edited by Dadgad

Dadgad not quite right if you buy a company outright and they have 2016 then legally you own it. As I said complete company not just its software and that must be the last upgrade that company had obtained. If it has say 2017 then yes its illegal to sell the older version. Autodesk did recognise software transfer but its getting more complicated generally around a winding up of a business.

Actually, you can legally buy AutoCAD 2016, (that's why they are still selling them and not being prosecuted), getting the Authorization code from Autodesk is another matter.

Subscribers, used to get the option to use 3 versions back (not sure if that's still available), so a reseller may be able to set you up legally.

Yes, it is also possible to buy a company and own the software legally and maybe get the authorization code from Autodesk, they are not required to do so in that case, either.

It is now available to pay by the month for Autodesk products, there are other really good CAD options that are much cheaper (some even FREE) and if you're a student free options for Autodesk as well, if you are in business using CAD, why try saving a few $$$$, just get the latest, it's usually not that much in the grand scheme of things.

Call a reseller and see what options you have in your budget.

Yes, it is also possible to buy a company and own the software legally and maybe get the authorization code from Autodesk, they are not required to do so in that case, either.

If you are purchasing a business, whose assets include perpetual Autodesk licenses, I suppose there could be a legal loophole by which Autodesk could say "no", but why would they?

Never seen it happen. Source: Been on the buyer side of a few of these situations.

If you are purchasing a business, whose assets include perpetual Autodesk licenses, I suppose there could be a legal loophole by which Autodesk could say "no", but why would they?

Never seen it happen. Source: Been on the buyer side of a few of these situations.

Thanks for the information. They make it so hard for small companies and single people to get back into the field to purchase it on their own it's just so expensive. Thank you

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Like SLW210 Drafsight is free can not get much cheaper than that. Software is an expense of a company, Again like SLW210, you can get Autocad paying by the month and its the latest version.

Edited by BIGAL

There are also good, low cost, alternatives such as Bricscad that comes in three versions all of which are 25% of the price of their AutoDesk counterparts. These AutoCAD clones come with 90-95% of the feature set and they both read and write to the >DWG file format. Depending on the version you may have the ability to run lisp as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a single user license for myself in 1998 from a UK reseller (Release 14). Cost me the price of a good used car but hey that was the good old days when I had cash aplenty.

I've been upgrading every year or two. costs around 850 sterling.

Now it seems they want everyone to go subscription and pay monthly/yearly.

Unless you are contractually bound to use "AutoCAD", why not look at less expensive alternatives?
Working for myself I didn't want to run into problems of stuff not working together different programs I'm My Own It person LOL so I can't have that I have to have Autodesk and their support in order to help me

Support from AutoDesk for what? I haven't "called" AutoDesk support since r13. Most of the time a "dwg" is still a "dwg". Sure AutoCAD will throw up that warning box that this is "not a real dwg" but it should still work. What sort of work do you do with AutoCAD, if I can ask?

I have to have Autodesk and their support in order to help me

You will get better, faster and more personalized assistance here in the forum. The last two times I contacted Autodesk with an issue, they were completely lost and couldn't help. It also took them several hours to respond. I ended up solving the problems on my own and sending my solutions back to them.

The next time you have a problem, post it here in the forum.

• 2 weeks later...
You will get better, faster and more personalized assistance here in the forum. The last two times I contacted Autodesk with an issue, they were completely lost and couldn't help. It also took them several hours to respond. I ended up solving the problems on my own and sending my solutions back to them.

The next time you have a problem, post it here in the forum.

Thank you... I will.

Support from AutoDesk for what? I haven't "called" AutoDesk support since r13. Most of the time a "dwg" is still a "dwg". Sure AutoCAD will throw up that warning box that this is "not a real dwg" but it should still work. What sort of work do you do with AutoCAD, if I can ask?
Use to work for a large Architecture firm working on sports stadiums. Been out of the industry for several years always loved it hated it when I had to leave so I'm getting back into it working on my own

Even though its a lot of money Autocad Architecture may be the way to go. You can "Rent" by the month that helps when starting out. But look at Briscad also there was a recent post here about doing Architecture in Briscad.

Even though its a lot of money Autocad Architecture may be the way to go. You can "Rent" by the month that helps when starting out. But look at Briscad also there was a recent post here about doing Architecture in Briscad.
Along with the program Big Al has mentioned, Bricsys and Autodesk also offer the BIM solutions for Architecture. I like some of the Bricsys options for newcomers, and it's cheap too. Revit LT would be a good entry level price to boost architectural design abilities.

-TZ