Layer group help

robwell

They are actually a type of layer filter: http://blogs.autodesk.com/autocad/autocad-layer-groups-tuesday-tips/

You can use ExpFltr to export layer filters and ImpFltr to import them with LayerFilter.LSP: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?97438-Can-I-create-frequently-used-layer-filters-in-LISP&p=952247&viewfull=1#post952247

I have Buttons at the top of Layer Properties Manager Palette for doing saving and loading layer filters as well, the Save one is the standard Save button that looks like a 3½" diskette. The Load layer filter button is just to the left of it.

The first link shows how to create layer groups and nesting groups, etc. I already know how to create layer groups, I am wanting to transfer those layer groups to another dwg without having to actually re-create the different layer groups and migrate layers into them in a second dwg. or a third or fourth.

Please don't confuse layer groups with layer filters. They are different. I know how to work with layer filters, but my question is about layer groups. I cannot download the LISP routine to test it from the other link because I am not a member on that page. It won't let me download without joining, so unless you can attach the LISP here, I am back in the same boat.

There has to be a simple way to export/import layer groups.

The three types of Layer Filters are Properties, Standards, and Groups. There is no other type of Layer Group I know of. The Autodesk blog link above shows how to create Group Filter named [Group Filter1] under Filters. Sorry, the buttons I described before may only be in verticals like Civil 3D and Architectural.

You can easily create one with a macro starting with

-LAyer _filter _New _Group

Lots of lisp options as well if you're comfortable with that: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?62067-layer-group-filter

What's the problem with signing up at AUGI to get the LISP?

As tombu has told you, a Layer Group is a type of Layer Filter, the AutoCAD Verticals I believe can import/export filters (at least some of them, if not all), but programming is the only way to do it with the Vanilla AutoCAD.

I must not be understanding something. I am using AutoCAD 2018.

What I am trying to do is transfer layer groups from one dwg to another. I can transfer layers by copying and pasting objects on those layers. However, I can't transfer the groups they are in to the second dwg.

Maybe type a little slower for me. :)

I am attaching a snipit of my layer manager to show what I see. There is no way to save the groups.

Layer manager.PNG

Plain AutoCAD cannot Export and Import Layer Filters, you will need to purchase a Vertical product, i.e. Civil3D or use a LISP or some other form of third party programming.

Using a macro to add a Layer Group Filter is easy enough. Here's one I use for layers added when running AutoTurn:

^C^C(command "-LAYER" "filter" "New" "Group" "All" "ATDIMS,ATTEXT,ATVEHICLE,AutoTURN,TSCONFLICT,TSINVISION,TSOBSTACLE,Veh-P" "AutoTurn" "eXit" "") 

Just replace the layer names seperated by commas "ATDIMS through Veh-P" and replace "AutoTurn" with the group filter name you would like to use.

^^^

This worked like a charm. However, a little tedious in getting the several buttons I needed to create each group layer to add to each dwg. Thanks.

I never could figure out the EXPFLTR LISP as pointed out above. It kept giving me the "None property layer filter in this drawing" message as embedded in the code. Oh well, my macro buttons are working.

Thanks again.

^^^

This worked like a charm. However, a little tedious in getting the several buttons I needed to create each group layer to add to each dwg. Thanks.

I never could figure out the EXPFLTR LISP as pointed out above. It kept giving me the "None property layer filter in this drawing" message as embedded in the code. Oh well, my macro buttons are working.

Thanks again.

Sorry, I've been using Civil 3D for many years now and forget many of the commands and options for even simple stuff like working with layers is pretty limited in vanilla AutoCAD.

Glad those macros worked out for you.

Forgive my Dumb and Dumber moment, but what is Vanilla AutoCAD? Is that the 2018 version name?

Thanks again.

Basic Autocad as opposed to verticals like Map 3D, Civil 3D, MEP, Architectural, etc… Never understood why a lot of features like ones described in this post aren't included in Vanilla as well.

... Never understood why a lot of features like ones described in this post aren't included in Vanilla as well.

The verticals sell for more money and the subscriptions are more money, so why put those features in the lower cost product?