Convert Bentley DTM to Land XML

JDog

I have 2 Inroads DTM surfaces I need converted to Land XML. Have looked all over for places that have Bentley so I can convert the files but not having any luck.

Looking for someone who can do this, I can dropbox the files. Thx

The easiest way is to convert the Bently DTM to 3D faces then in CIV3d make a surface from 3dfaces. Just me but I avoid using xml it leaves snail trails when used as surface input method we have had error messages about not able to find xml and so on after creating a surface.

This should take about 2 minutes.

I don’t have inroads , nor do I know anyone who does. No one uses this software in my area. Who I received the DTM files from will not convert the files into any other format for us either.

So DTM is what I have to work with , I know it can be converted like you mention which is fine , but I need Inroads to do that i believe.

No they won't convert and send the XML's, it's our wonderful provincial government who made the files.

In Civil 3D You need a Subscription Extension to gain access to the civil engineering data translator to be able to import DTM into Civil 3D which I don't have as well, and same problem as I have with Inroads, I can't find anyone else with civil 3D who has a current subscription with the data translator.

Spent about an hour trying to find it and its hidden in service pack updates, its a case of sending to Autodesk and they send back not a do it yourself. I struggle with our IT blocking stuff so not sure I can help. It is at the very bottom of all the upgrades the Autodesk web site did not help. For anyone else http://www.autodesk.manange.com who has subscription.

JDog,

Please post your DTM's. (Dropbox w/link?) I'll figure out how to translate them to XML's. I only have Civil 3D 2018. Is that OK?

Dave

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zq6ton4gv6g2emu/og-AIR.dtm?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0erkvjymyxeiu6a/og-Spr.dtm?dl=0

Hopefully that works. I normally dropbox with known emails to share with. From what I read you should be able to download from this but not 100% certain if you can "alter" the file. Let me know if not. Thanks for any help Dave, very much appreciated. 2018 should be fine.

First file is 23mb, second is 52bm.

JDog,

OK, I used the Data Translator. It converted the DTM's to DWG's, XLSX's, and XML's:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8wvaf6degw5i7w2/AAAri2c2EQ6YzymjOQFJ6PTaa?dl=0

In the Surface Import Settings I imported Points, Breaklines, Boundaries, and Contours. There is another option to import Triangles, but it's either/or. Let me know if you need the Triangles.

Dave

Pointdump the simplest form is triangles as 3dfaces its like the unbreakable works 100%

If we provide info we always include the 3dfaces as end user is guaranteed to be able to import.

No they won't convert and send the XML's, it's our wonderful provincial government who made the files.

In Civil 3D You need a Subscription Extension to gain access to the civil engineering data translator to be able to import DTM into Civil 3D which I don't have as well, and same problem as I have with Inroads, I can't find anyone else with civil 3D who has a current subscription with the data translator.

Might be worth getting the subscription if this is an something that may happen more in the future.

Dave, Can't thank you enough. That worked perfectly really appreciate it !!

This is the first time in 8 years they haven't converted the DTM for us. They would convert the designs but Not the OG surface for some reason. Road job is about 25 kms long, we aren't interested in doing our own survey where they already have it completed. Now we can do some rational cut/fills.

Thanks again Dave

• 1 year later...

Hello Dave,

I also have the same problem of converting bentley dtm to dwg.Where did you get the Data Translator?Is it an online thing?

thank you.

yp