Publish Only Publishes Open Files

Bill Tillman

I have a project with 5 CAD files, each contains several layout tabs. I open up one of the files and then run the PUBLISH command. The two layout tabs in this file appear in the list. I then add the other files to the queue and all looks well. I then run the publish command and insread of publishing all 51 pages I only get the two pages in the file which was actually opened. I'm publishing to PDF. Not sure why I only get two pages published instead of yhe entire set.

At my home office this morning I witnessed this happen and no one else was around to have the files open. So I'm not sure why the PUBLISH command performed this way. At the client's office I did it several times with only the one file actually open and it ran perfect several times. Now it just did at this office what it did to me this morning but there are several users here who have those files open. So is it a question of the files which are not actually loaded in the AutoCAD instance running the PUBLISH command being opened by others or at least AutoCAD thinking they are open which causes the PUBLISH command to come up short, only two pages instead of 60?

I gotta believe this is something simple. I tried this again at my home office and once again, even though I have 60 layout tabs from 7 different CAD files queued up to plot, the PUBLISH command only prints the two layout tabs contained in the CAD file I have loaded in AutoCAD. The other 5 CAD files are on a server and they queue up fine, but never plot. The plot message window says all went well, no errors, but only the two layout tabs are shown as having been plotted.

UPDATE: Okay, I think I finally found the resolution. I came across a posting on the AutoDesk forum about this but it's from 10 years ago. The poster said it was an intermittent problem saying like me that it works once in a while but mostly it fails to plot all the sheets. The post said "Apparently Publish has a problem printing multiple sheets if some are automatically added." and that is what I seem to have found here. If I start the PUBLISH command and then delete any layout tabs that were automatically loaded it works fine. Funny none of the docs I read seem to say this and you'd think that after 10 years AutoDesk would have worked this out. If the process calls for the autoloaded files to be removed from the queue first but then every once in a while it works without doing this then it's what I consider a bug in AutoCAD, not a lack of method on the part of the user.