Hatch multiple objects that overlap

MastroLube

Hi guys,

I've to hatch multiple objects that sometimes overlap. I don't want that the hatch get removed if the islands are in common.. currently I'm ending the command and start again to avoid that but maybe there is a better way. Any advice?

giphy.gif

Thanks for your help!

Dennis

I just use a crossing window and pick everything in one feel swoop and it works for me. The only downside, if you want to call it that, is the square in the corner ends up getting hatched twice. Its as though you hatched each long rectangle separately then overlapped them. See for yourself...

Hatch_me.jpg

I've found that Associative hatches react horribly to most situations where two or more objects are to be run through the "hatch association algorithm". (whatever happens in there is dark energy.)

1 use non associated separate hatches exclusively, with fewer issues.

It still won't hatch those overlapping corners all the time unless the rectangles are selected separately, and I have found modifying the island detection setting often to be ineffective.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I did not select the rectangles separately.

Here's another example that I tested a half dozen times and got the same results each time. Everything got hatched even the areas (the squares) that were overlapping using one crossing window for making the selection. The square areas (four) got hatched twice.

HatchitTime.jpg

Thanks for your help!

I'll use separate hatches and select all the rectangles and don't care about overlapping hatch.. Was wondering if I could have only 1 hatch for all :D

Thank you guys! :)

Dennis

As noted in the thread I referenced, the only sure way to get a clean hatch is to draw one border that contains every space. Or you can upgrade.

Yes it could be a solution!

Anyway with upgrade you mean that autocad 2018 allow to have one hatch for all these object picking objects and not points inside?

Thanks!

As SLW points out, the "feature" discussed here was fixed in some version between 2015 and 2018. In other words, if you upgrade to the current version, you can select overlapping objects and hatch all of the interior spaces. In other other words, AutoCAD 2018 behaves the way you expected it to in your original post.

• 5 years later...

Autocad has fixed the problem, but ironically now I'm looking for a solution (in AutoCAD 2023) that would provide overlapping hatches as shown in ReMark's message.