used layers in an empty dwt

pbabbidge

I've been building a template and the layer manager shows 8 used layers and I can't figure out why there should be ANY used layers. I'd like to clear these so that when I do start a dwg with my template the used layer filter will truly show me just the used layers.

If it is showing them used there is probably something somewhere on those layers, maybe a stray line buried in a title block on a layout. or viewport on an odd layer, maybe a text style or dimension style has it in use in the settings, if things like that don't show up immediately then most often it would be inside a block somewhere. Post the file if persists in being elusive.

I tried a purge all (not fully understanding what the results would be) and of course all the layers were deleted, not the result I was looking for. Undo restored all the layers but now ALL the layers show up in the All Used Layers filter. **sigh**

Ahh that's different, if the layers purge then they aren't used, you need to change the variable showlayerusage=1 here's a description UsedLayers and then change filters a couple of times for it to kick in

I'm down to 6 unused layers including 0, which my filter shows as being used. I guess I'll live with it, seems like I'm always settling to "live with it" in Civil 3D. LDD was much more surveyor friendly.

Something I always wanted in Civil 3D was a layer checker. If you couldn't purge a layer, this code would find what was using it. That way you didn't spend hours clicking through styles for surfaces, points, contours, profiles, assemblies, tables, etc. etc. etc.

Deleting layers and importing Survey data afterwards could become a problem. I have an assortment of templates for every occasion. From my signature below "So many issues can be solved with good templates."

Something I always wanted in Civil 3D was a layer checker. If you couldn't purge a layer, this code would find what was using it. That way you didn't spend hours clicking through styles for surfaces, points, contours, profiles, assemblies, tables, etc. etc. etc.

On everybody's wish list, the checker needs to be able to find any reference that cannot be purged like Text Style, Linetype, Plot Style, Block, Dimstyle, etc… as well.