3d Roof solid problem

danHook

Hi all, Im a 2d CAD user so looking at producing a 3d model from survey data, im trying to make the roof solid, I can do it when the pitch is just 3 points but when I do the other side and extrude the roof it just does the edges, I've drawn a 3dpolyline and change mode to solid, i just cant see where im going wrong, would be grateful for some help, cheers, added a couple of shots

attachment.php?attachmentid=63303&cid=1&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=63304&cid=1&stc=1

DbIfXDk.jpg

vdjyFS5.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danHook

• ReMark

• f700es

• steven-g

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there, wondered if someone can help me, ive used 2D AutoCAD for over 25 years and just started looking at some 3D bits, we have captured some data in 3D and im trying to draw up the roof.

I can extrude solids on the triangle section of the roof but when I do it in a 4 point shape it will only do the surface and the edges just move and not the whole peice, im not sure what im doing wrong? would be grateful if someone could take a look for me, cheers

Ill try to add a couple of pictures

Hello danHook, and welcome to the CADTutor Forum. :)

If you are trying to Model in LT, you will have a hard time of it, as it is designed and sold as a 2D program.

If you are trying to EXTRUDE linework, make sure that it is a CLOSED Polyline, if you hope to create a 3D Solid.

The PRESSPULL command is much more forgiving, in that regard, totally random lines can be used, as long as they intersect, and a 3D Solid will be created.

http://www.cadtutor.net/tutorials/autocad/extrude-and-press-pull/

We do have a resident LT Modeling Wizard on the forum, steven-g, who will likely chime in if he sees your thread. Understand that modeling in LT is definitely going against the flow.

Please clarify the software being used.

Thanks for the welcome, that was quick!, sorry its full release AutoCAD, they are closed polylines, i've even redrawn them as 3dpolys, i've tried PRESSPULL also with not joy, it seems any shape with more than 3 points and different z values it will only create a surface and not a solid, I have also changed the mode on Extrude to solid :x

Someone mentioned my name! Hi Dadgad.

There is no extrude in LT so if indeed that is the program you are using I imagine you are talking about thickness, and thickness only works straight up (UP is determined by the ucs Z direction) what it can't do is taper up so thicken will only ever work to create a rectangular appearance (or rhomboid if you start using 3D points for your line work. I'd be interested to know how you have created the triangles because to the best of my knowledge thats not using thickness, perhaps the solid command? Could you describe exactly what you are trying to do and how you are going about it and possibly attach the dwg file as an example.

Thanks for the welcome, that was quick!, sorry its full release AutoCAD, they are closed polylines, i've even redrawn them as 3dpolys, i've tried PRESSPULL also with not joy, it seems any shape with more than 3 points and different z values it will only create a surface and not a solid, I have also changed the mode on Extrude to solid :x

Needless to say, three points will always be COPLANAR, presumably the four points which you are trying to use are not, whence the fly in the ointment.

Forgive me if that is not the situation, sounds like it might be.

Are you at liberty to post the actual .dwg file?

Lots of other ways to skin this cat, but a .dwg might be worth as many as 20 posts, enabling anybody with the spare time to cut to the chase.

Yeah Dadgad got it. your polyline isn't coplanar, if you align your ucs with 3 points of the 3dpolyline you can see from the z values that the other point is on a different plane, modeling this way the best bet would be to align the ucs with each roof surface you want to create and then use the normal polyline command as that won't allow you to draw off the plane. Or use a different modeling technique.

I would recommend starting over as your main building is comprised of extruded surfaces as opposed to 3D solids. I would also recommend that the roof be put on its own layer using a color different than what is used on the main body of the house.

An example of a small part of your roof created as a 3D solid.

3D_Roof_1.jpg

I'd be the wrong person to answer that, although I now use full autocad (at work) and I don't do a lot of 3D work, so I still use the same techniques I would have done in LT which is using the UCS to align a plane with 3 points, and go from there? but full Autocad has so many better methods and different ways as Dadgad has said, it all depends on what the end results need to be, but if you are working from survey data and the roofs are physically misshapen, not planar. Then other methods would probably be more suitable. I'd wait and see what Dadgad or others make of it from the dwg file

Here I have added another section of roof to the main house. I also changed the small roof at the front as I'm not really sure what your design intent really is. Perhaps you can enlighten us.

3D_Roof_2.JPG

Wow that's what im after, was that done by slicing?

No, it wasn't. I used the 3DPOLY and LOFT commands.

Here's the roof for the building in the rear (BTW, the building is on the TEXT layer not the 3D_BLDGS layer).

3D_Roof_3.jpg

OK, im nearly there, can I use the loft command across in all 4 pitches in one go or do each triangle individually? ive managed to do 3 sides but wont let me pick the last section for some reason, should each triangle or shape be a closed 3dpolyline?