+ Reply to Thread
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Default PUBLISH Progress Window

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I use the PUBLISH command on a daily basis. As each job gets published to PDF I examine the small icon in the lower right side of the AutoCAD window for how it's coming along. Not the easiest way to monitor a job but it works. Now a co-worker was publishing a set of PDF's and his setup included a large window which showed which drawing was being published, and it had two progress meters in it to show progress on the current file and progress on the entire job. When I asked him how he set that up he said he had no clue and that his system always does that. Since we're running the same version of AutoCAD I can conclude that my system is capable of the same thing.
    Last edited by Bill Tillman; 25th Feb 2018 at 05:10 pm.
    It's deja vu, all over again.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2019

I think it is whether or not you are publishing in the background, at least from my experience.

I haven't published in the background for some time because my work system is pretty fast and most of the jobs are small. The disadvantage of publishing in the foreground (default) is that autoCad is locked up for the duration, so all you can do is watch the green bars. However. the green bars are way big and right up front where you can see them, which is good, because you will be inexorably compelled to stare at them.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Not sure how complex your dwgs are but I just plot using a lisp and it changes layouts as it goes and I just watch it makes each pdf say 2-3 seconds ? Yeah I do have 88 layouts in one dwg and the only hassle is that the pdfs are displayed via acrobat and it stops displaying after about 15 but the whole 88 plot. Never been any real delay.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Using
    AutoCAD 2018

The jobs consists of about 5 to 10 CAD files, each contains anywhere from 2 to 10 layout tabs. I always publish in the background. This computer is an I7 with 32 GB RAM. So it's no slouch but still sometimes with these huge XREF's there is a delay. What I don't see is this nice window which shows which drawing is being published and the progress meters showing how far we've got to go. All I can do at the moment is to hover the mouse over the little Publishing icon in the lower right corner and it will tell me 13 of 18, but nothing more.
    Last edited by Bill Tillman; 26th Feb 2018 at 07:05 pm.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tillman View Post
    The jobs consists of about 5 to 10 CAD files, each contains anywhere from 2 to 10 layout tabs. I always publish in the background. This computer is an I7 with 32 GB RAM. So it's no slouch but still sometimes with these huge XREF's there is a delay. What I don't see is this nice window which shows which drawing is being published and the progress meters showing how far we've got to go. All I can do at the moment is to hover the mouse over the little Publishing icon in the lower right corner and it will tell me 13 of 18, but nothing more.
    That is what publishing in the background is. It assumes you don't want to wait for it so you can continue working while it publishes. Also, running anything in the background waits for the system to give it run time. It then competes with everything else that is running. The more cadding you do, the less computer run time there is available. Active open windows (apps) get the highest priority, so basically you can get in your own way. Publishing in the foreground gets top priority computer time.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Thanks Dana, I finally found the checkbox which disables/enables publishing in the background. It's the one that says, "Publish in background"....doh! and it's right there in the publish dialog window. If I had not been looking so hard for it, I probably would have found it sooner. So now that I know it's there I can use when I need to. Most of the time I publish in the background because with this client every project they give me is already 3 weeks past due. Doh!

Using
    Civil 3D 2016

Yeah that is pushing multiple drawings, xrefs etc we only have to worry about 1 dwg. Makes sense use publish to create a set.
    A man who never made mistakes never made anything

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2019

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Tillman View Post
    Thanks Dana, I finally found the checkbox which disables/enables publishing in the background. It's the one that says, "Publish in background"....doh! and it's right there in the publish dialog window. If I had not been looking so hard for it, I probably would have found it sooner. So now that I know it's there I can use when I need to. Most of the time I publish in the background because with this client every project they give me is already 3 weeks past due. Doh!
    That's ok, I spent about half an hour looking for the TV remote this morning with it in my hand.