PUBLISH Progress Window

Bill Tillman

I use the PUBLISH command on a daily basis. As each job gets published to PDF I examine the small icon in the lower right side of the AutoCAD window for how it's coming along. Not the easiest way to monitor a job but it works. Now a co-worker was publishing a set of PDF's and his setup included a large window which showed which drawing was being published, and it had two progress meters in it to show progress on the current file and progress on the entire job. When I asked him how he set that up he said he had no clue and that his system always does that. Since we're running the same version of AutoCAD I can conclude that my system is capable of the same thing.

Edited by Bill Tillman

I think it is whether or not you are publishing in the background, at least from my experience.

I haven't published in the background for some time because my work system is pretty fast and most of the jobs are small. The disadvantage of publishing in the foreground (default) is that autoCad is locked up for the duration, so all you can do is watch the green bars. However. the green bars are way big and right up front where you can see them, which is good, because you will be inexorably compelled to stare at them.

Not sure how complex your dwgs are but I just plot using a lisp and it changes layouts as it goes and I just watch it makes each pdf say 2-3 seconds ? Yeah I do have 88 layouts in one dwg and the only hassle is that the pdfs are displayed via acrobat and it stops displaying after about 15 but the whole 88 plot. Never been any real delay.

The jobs consists of about 5 to 10 CAD files, each contains anywhere from 2 to 10 layout tabs. I always publish in the background. This computer is an I7 with 32 GB RAM. So it's no slouch but still sometimes with these huge XREF's there is a delay. What I don't see is this nice window which shows which drawing is being published and the progress meters showing how far we've got to go. All I can do at the moment is to hover the mouse over the little Publishing icon in the lower right corner and it will tell me 13 of 18, but nothing more.

Edited by Bill Tillman

The jobs consists of about 5 to 10 CAD files, each contains anywhere from 2 to 10 layout tabs. I always publish in the background. This computer is an I7 with 32 GB RAM. So it's no slouch but still sometimes with these huge XREF's there is a delay. What I don't see is this nice window which shows which drawing is being published and the progress meters showing how far we've got to go. All I can do at the moment is to hover the mouse over the little Publishing icon in the lower right corner and it will tell me 13 of 18, but nothing more.
That is what publishing in the background is. It assumes you don't want to wait for it so you can continue working while it publishes. Also, running anything in the background waits for the system to give it run time. It then competes with everything else that is running. The more cadding you do, the less computer run time there is available. Active open windows (apps) get the highest priority, so basically you can get in your own way. Publishing in the foreground gets top priority computer time.

Thanks Dana, I finally found the checkbox which disables/enables publishing in the background. It's the one that says, "Publish in background"....doh! and it's right there in the publish dialog window. If I had not been looking so hard for it, I probably would have found it sooner. So now that I know it's there I can use when I need to. Most of the time I publish in the background because with this client every project they give me is already 3 weeks past due. Doh!

Thanks Dana, I finally found the checkbox which disables/enables publishing in the background. It's the one that says, "Publish in background"....doh! and it's right there in the publish dialog window. If I had not been looking so hard for it, I probably would have found it sooner. So now that I know it's there I can use when I need to. Most of the time I publish in the background because with this client every project they give me is already 3 weeks past due. Doh!
That's ok, I spent about half an hour looking for the TV remote this morning with it in my hand.