Command ALIGN Bugs?

hanhphuc

Hi happy new year guys

it's weird? command ALIGN applied on 2D object which is not aligned perfectly, a small gap at the end of the line!:ouch:

Is it a bug or am i wrong?

Though i can alternative move, rotate or some coding etc, just need you guys are more experienced in drafting to verify :)

thanks in advance

Command: align

Select objects: 1 found

Select objects:

Specify first source point:

Specify first destination point:

Specify second source point:

Specify second destination point:

Specify third source point or : (skip)

Scale objects based on alignment points? [Yes/No] : y

acad align bug.dwg

I had no problems aligning either of the examples you provided. There were no gaps created at the points you indicated. The only thing I did was freeze the layer your dimensions were on BEFORE I ran the command.

I had no problems aligning either of the examples you provided. There were no gaps created at the points you indicated. The only thing I did was freeze the layer your dimensions were on BEFORE I ran the command.

Thanks ReMark & Eldon for the inputs.

perhaps bugs fixed after AC2018?

I have never experienced a bug with Align before, but your case does seem perplexing.

I see that the distance between P1 and P2 is the same as the green line, so that scaling is not necessary.

A work around is to move and then to rotate with reference. This works for me.

let's check another bugs, at the moment i had only 2 testers

Eldon's & ReMark's, 2 different results i think it seems version issue?

The green line is it supposed to be.

i appreciate you guys spending free times for this.

Align bug2.dwg

Did you even try my suggestion?

Yes, but still has gaps

I have no clue what you are trying to prove with the second drawing.

sorry for that, well let me elaborate more detail:

The magenta line is the baseline before we ALIGN to the "normal" green/red line, which 'A' is start point, 'B' end point respectively.

There are nods along the baseline, in the dwg i use attributed block to indicate their 'Z' elevation purpose only

BEFORE

The magenta line has End points At 'A' Z=82.230 & 'B' Z=82.091 (I use TEXT to indicate), so 'A'&'B' Delta Z=-0.139, the left & right Delta Z for each end at 'A'=3mm & 'B'=14mm.

AFTER

If we need to "Normalize" the nods along the magenta baseline to be aligned orthogonal at GREEN/RED line at flat elevation of Z=2.470 (Note: not fully flatten which nods are still referenced to the baseline)

Shouldn't it be (shown in GREEN line)

End points At 'A' Z=2.470 & 'B' Z=2.470 ,'A'&'B' Delta Z=0.00, with 'A'=3mm & 'B'=14mm for each end points same as before align?

But after ALIGN command (bug? shown in RED line)

i have no idea how it became 'A'=6mm & 'B'=22mm for each end points, perhaps tilted or something?

Though it fits on the flat line, ie: Delta Z=0.00

Thanks

HGor6XG.png

My approach to the problem in the occurrence of an apparent anomaly with the command ALIGN, would be to work it out mathematically, and also to try and use simple commands to achieve what I wanted. Align includes several commands, and you might be using it out of context.

I am afraid I will have to leave it to others to sort you out. I expect someone could write a lisp for Super Align.

My approach to the problem in the occurrence of an apparent anomaly with the command ALIGN, would be to work it out mathematically, and also to try and use simple commands to achieve what I wanted. Align includes several commands, and you might be using it out of context.

I am afraid I will have to leave it to others to sort you out. I expect someone could write a lisp for Super Align.

perhaps you are right, hiccups for older version :P

thank you

I get gaps and overlap in AutoCAD 2018 depending on the order picked. Mine seem to be closer than the OP's.

Thanks for test, however that's no issue for your "gaps" or "overlap", yours is 0.00000003 over 4k is high decimal precision it's normal.

as mine is 0.030 over 4k

Perhaps I can conclude that these bugs only occur in versions earlier than AC2018, how about Bricscad or ZWCAD?

Have a nice weekend :)

QS3BteD.png

I think the problem is that you are using only 2 source points and 2 destination points thus the line is "rotating" as it is being aligned and the two points are changing their relative z values.

I created a polyline from the Before A off to the right. Since it is a polyline (and not a line) the second vertex will have the same z coordinate as the first. I did the same at the After A. The lengths of these line is not important as their ends will only be used to define the XY plane of the alignment. I used the free ends of these two polylines for the 3rd source and 3rd destination points to ensure the line didn't rotate. The resulting delta z difference was 14mm which is what you were expecting.

Bottom line, this is a 3D align task due to the difference in Z! With about 16 significant figures of precision I didn't think it was an AutoCAD problem.

al1.JPG

I think the problem is that you are using only 2 source points and 2 destination points thus the line is "rotating" as it is being aligned and the two points are changing their relative z values.

I created a polyline from the Before A off to the right. Since it is a polyline (and not a line) the second vertex will have the same z coordinate as the first. I did the same at the After A. The lengths of these line is not important as their ends will only be used to define the XY plane of the alignment. I used the free ends of these two polylines for the 3rd source and 3rd destination points to ensure the line didn't rotate. The resulting delta z difference was 14mm which is what you were expecting.

Bottom line, this is a 3D align task due to the difference in Z! With about 16 significant figures of precision I didn't think it was an AutoCAD problem.

Thanks lrm it worked! Though it still needs 3 pairs of points,

as eldon mentioned:

Align includes several commands, and you might be using it out of context.

i thought ALIGN command has default value (3rd point?) to define plane for 2 pairs of 3D points!

:oops: perhaps a custom lisp

Thank you guys for your time, appreciated :)