Can I 3D model in detailed insulation ( link ) to avoid thermal bridging ?

DrMaximum

Hi, am learning basic drawing skills on Revit (Lynda.com) , as I want to experiment with Rivet's analytical / simulation tools.

However I wonder if it's possible to 3D model in details like insulating cellulose bricks, special balcony connections and much more that are used to avoid thermal bridging..

Because if that's impossible, Revit's thermal analysis tools would be totally useless for me.

Used Autocad in college way back, now want to learn Revit to try and simulate / analyse a passive single family house

cheers

Yes, you can do that in Revit. But I may be misreading your question. Do you mean an analytical calculation? Walls do have thermal properties, but not sure how that would work if a very small strip of a wall needed to have it's own thermal properties. If that's the case you would simply use two walls with proper cuts and joins.

-TZ

Were you expecting the platform to be fully capable in certain specific areas? The program is first a parametric modeling application for architectural design. Things like calculation of thermal properties would be down the line. Sounds like it will be too general for your needs so the thermal calc tools will not suffice.

Also try asking the question in a forum that has a much larger Revit user base. I'm an MEP background, this is better asked for the guys and gals who actually have to account for this day in day out. Try the Autodesk forums or others, you may get better answers.

-TZ