Rounding - What the heck!?

Hey everyone,

Trying to dimension a line. The length of the line is 199.995' for some reason, when i dim the line with the same setting (round to the nearest hundredth) The label should be 200.00' every time. Sometimes (seems like depending on the angle of the line) it will label 199.99'. Would anyone happen to have any advice or insight into this?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MillerMG

• eldon

• steven-g

• dtkell

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I would suggest making the line 200.00 long. That would save a whole lot of grief!

If the line is 199.9949 long, that would list as 199.995, but would dimension at 199.99.

First of all, I would suggest making the line 200.00 long. That would save a whole lot of grief!

If the line is 199.9949 long, that would list as 199.995, but would dimension at 199.99.

you most likely are not in the field of civil 3D survey side of thing then

Post a file that shows this behavior, then we can make sure it isn't just something on your computer.

seems that this is an inherent problem that can be replicated on any CAD after like 05'

When surveying, a line is quoted with the horizontal distance, never mind the 3D distance. So the length is either 200.00 or 199.99. You should not alter surveyed distances, thus preserving the integrity of the data.

heckzactly and if the line is 199.9951 it will also show as 199.995 or when 2 decimal places are used 200.00

(rtos 199.9949 2 2) = 199.49, and (rtos 199.9951 2 2) = 200 in every version of AutoCAD

Licensed Surveyer who started surveying in 1975, AutoCAD in 1992 with Softdesk Civil and Survey plugins. Like eldon nobody in the Civil or Survey field would change a measurement just to make it pretty.

would you like to fill out the cad release then? cause that's what the firm i work for makes us do. I cannot release a cad file. The reason i said anything about survey, is because you can't just round up numbers. if a property line has a certain number it is supposed to be, you can't just round up at random times and sometimes, not. Also, i don't recall putting this in a survey thread.

F*** me for asking anything. got dang, what happend to you guys?? yall use to be nice and helpful. not anymore.

......The reason i said anything about survey, is because you can't just round up numbers. if a property line has a certain number it is supposed to be, you can't just round up at random times and sometimes, not. Also, i don't recall putting this in a survey thread.

I seem to recall that you were the first to mention survey in the first place.

The reason for your initial difficulty was that you were inconsistent with the number of decimal places. You should trust AutoCAD to round to the required decimal places because it is working internally with many more places of decimals, and if a property line was dimensioned as 199.99, then that was its length.

Can you be sued over 0.01? Tell the surveyor to re-measure.

The reason we have posted about using 4 decimal places is that the behavior you are describing is in 999 out of 100 cases the cause of such issues. It doesn't need the blueprints for the BANK of England just a file with a single line in it that shows this behavior. If you are 1000% sure that your line length is on the correct side of 199.995 down to at least 8 decimal places and still showing an error then you will probably need to reinstall Autocad. I would even go so far as to scale the line up by a factor of a few thousand just too see if anything starts to show up then in the last decimal points as Autocad is way more accurate than 8 places, and adjusting how many points you see has no effect on the actual length of an object, but if you can't share a file then we are only able to guess and the biggest cause of Autocad errors is without doubt user error so forgive people if they hint at that, the next thing to check is how far from the UCS origin is the line, and then a third option would be is there any possibility that the ends of the line are not planar to the current UCS as dimensions are.

i have clearly, annoyed pissed off or whatever whomever in this post, so ill just look other places i guess. Sorry for wasting your time and this has gotten out of hand an in no way what i was looking for. Like, why are you looking to place blame? I have been on this forum for 5 years now and have never had an issue like this. As always, thanks for all of your help Steven-G

as for sending the file, i have always been more than happy to send it because i know how helpful it is to have. Its better than throwing darts in the dark. I work for a new firm now and they will not allow me to send anything. Again, this got way off topic and out of hand.