Is it possible to create a dynamic block line?

Deodar311

Trying to create a linetype for a friend who only has AutoCAD LT. He is seeking a thick line with text along the line (e.g. "--- GAS ---"). I can create a normal linetype, but instead I am seeking a dynamic block that can be stretched and rotated. The linetypes I create using dynamic blocks are not user friendly.

I understand he could use line weights or colors to produce a thicker line, but he's old school, so I'm trying to create something especially for him.

Is it possible to create a "linetype" using dynamic blocks that functions similarly to a standard line? (i.e. click and drag)

Why can't your friend use the normal ---GAS--- linetype that comes with AutoCAD and assigned the linetype to a layer called GAS that has a specific lineweight designated? He just has to make sure that the option to "display lineweights" is enabled.

I understand what you're saying, but for some reason, he doesn't like to use the lineweight option. He would rather create a polyline and set the thickness.. don't ask me why. That's not the way I would do it.

Still, is it possible to create a linetype using dynamic blocks? Call it an experiment. Autocad is a powerful program, but other than here, I rarely see people pushing it's potential.

Using LISP may be possible to create the linetype, but with AutoCAD LT, that's not going to work for him.

After thinking about it a bit more, I don't think it's feasible.

Creating a dynamic block linetype, works well if it's a single linear line. Rotating the line works, somewhat, but clicking the next point in the line doesn't work... and it won't work.

I guess I didn't think this through. Thanks for your help ReMark!

Perhaps it can be accomplished via a custom command on a Tool Palette? The user will pre-define the type of line (polyline), the width, specific layer and the default AutoCAD ---GAS--- linetype.

This is only an educated guess, but I believe there's only way to do what your friend wants to do. You'd have to override the line function to allow changing the block's parameters. In other words, you'd have to write a new piece of code to draw lines with embedded blocks that do what you want. So you might as well write a new function... that mostly duplicates an existing function.

Sorry, I don't receive notifications when someone reply's to my post.

Big Al:

How did you create the polyline with text and a width? I know how to set the width, but how do you add text?

The 3D line was cool, but not what I am seeking.

Thanks!

Look in acad.lin comes with autocad there are predefined linetypes you can add more very simple a line type with text. Just post here what linetypes your looking for, G W E OF OP D we have like 30+ others like line patterns "Equal 100" "300x600" you will get swamped by the people here who can provide you with linetypes.

Almost forgot type LINETYPE load acad.lin etc then select all and load you will see all linetypes now available use toolbar "properties" this has line type list as a pull down.

;;  Complex linetypes
;;
;;  Complex linetypes have been added to this file.
;;  These linetypes were defined in LTYPESHP.LIN in
;;  Release 13, and are incorporated in ACAD.LIN in
;;  Release 14.
;;  
;;  These linetype definitions use LTYPESHP.SHX.
;;
*FENCELINE1,Fenceline circle ----0-----0----0-----0----0-----0--
A,.25,-.1,[CIRC1,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.1,s=.1],-.1,1
*FENCELINE2,Fenceline square ----[]-----[]----[]-----[]----[]---
A,.25,-.1,[bOX,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.1,s=.1],-.1,1
*TRACKS,Tracks -|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
A,.15,[TRACK1,ltypeshp.shx,s=.25],.15
*BATTING,Batting SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
A,.0001,-.1,[bAT,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.1,s=.1],-.2,[bAT,ltypeshp.shx,r=180,x=.1,s=.1],-.1
*HOT_WATER_SUPPLY,Hot water supply ---- HW ---- HW ---- HW ----
A,.5,-.2,["HW",STANDARD,S=.1,U=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.2
*GAS_LINE,Gas line ----GAS----GAS----GAS----GAS----GAS----GAS--
A,.5,-.2,["GAS",STANDARD,S=.1,U=0.0,X=-0.1,Y=-.05],-.25
*ZIGZAG,Zig zag /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
A,.0001,-.2,[ZIG,ltypeshp.shx,x=-.2,s=.2],-.4,[ZIG,ltypeshp.shx,r=180,x=.2,s=.2],-.2
;;  User Defined Linetypes
;;
;;  Add any linetypes that you define to this section of
;;  the file to ensure that they migrate properly when
;;  upgrading to a future AutoCAD version.  If duplicate
;;  linetype definitions are found in this file, items
;;  in the User Defined Linetypes section take precedence
;;  over definitions that appear earlier in the file.

I understand the acad.lin file and how it works.

BUT, what parameter controls the thickness of the line itself? Many of the parameters control the text. As I understand it, none of the standard acad.lin styles posted control line thickness.

I don't want to turn on lineweight to see the thickness. It needs to be a set thickness, very similar to a polyline (I guess technically it is a polyline).

I have found lots of line type out there (and I admit I didn't look at every single line), but I'm not even sure what parameter I'm looking for.

Does the "U" parameter control thickness, if not, which one does?

Thanks!

If polylines are going to be used then we're talking about width not thickness. Those are two different things to AutoCAD.

Per AutoCAD Help...

"Thickness" refers to the depth of an object, not the width of the line. This property can be used to give the appearance of 3D thickness to 2D drawings. In AutoCAD, the thickness of an object refers to the distance that the object is extended above or below its location in 3D. Positive thickness extends upward in the positive Z direction; negative thickness extends downward (negative Z).

It helps to use the right terminology.

You can make the width of the line in a few ways simplest is make the line a pline and set the width, you can set a linetype width as a property, toolbar "Properties" and you set a width when you plot by using a pen thickness in a CTB which can be different than what you see on the screen.

See my prior images.