Tips and tricks on measuring a pillar on site?

I'm sure some of you here work as contractors, interior designers, architects etc.

Any tips/tricks you may have to measuring the diameter of a huge pillar? or weirdly angled areas?

I might have a project coming up and they want a circular stainless steel cabinet to wrap around a pillar. i don't even.. lol :roll:

I'd try to take bearing from at least four points around the pillar to known locations in the surrounding room (to set out the quadrants of the pillar), plus measure a circumference (i.e. the length around it), from which a radius, etc. could be calculated.

dJE

Triangulate, where ever possible measure in triangles, never expect a square to be square. If possible lay two straight edges out either side of the circle and position them so that the distance between is equal (diameter, easiest with 2 people) and do that in a few places to check it is round, even the suns shadow should give a pretty good diameter measure.

• Like 1

Why don't they just erect a square frame around the column with steel studs slap some sheetrock on it and call it a wall? Then they can install cabinets against all four walls. Custom circular cabinets are a waste of both time and money.

Why don't they just erect a square frame around the column with steel studs slap some sheetrock on it and call it a wall? Then they can install cabinets against all four walls. Custom circular cabinets are a waste of both time and money.

If it is done this way, and it would be much easier, you could still radius the front of the cabinets, should going square be a deal breaker.

It would be much easier to get a good fit. :|

In my limited experience, interior designers don't always consider the difficulties faced by the fabricators. To them, you're just bending steel, can't be that hard.

They also tend to be pricks when you tell them to change something because it just can't be done, or it will require us to go way over costing which isn't going to happen.

If you are preparing costs for a project, then an extensive internal survey of what is existing is essential. Just get some quotes from survey companies who can do a proper job. There are all sorts of scanners available, and, in experienced hands, can pinpoint all surfaces very accurately.

Work the problem backwards. First calculate what the cost would be to fabricate custom circular stainless steel cabinets. Give the estimate to the client and see what his reaction will be. There's your answer.

Rounded and curved, furniture, as well as other shapes, are pretty standard procedures for most shop joinery firms that's the reason designers use them. Otherwise, everyone would just go to Ikea!

Any tips/tricks you may have to measuring the diameter of a huge pillar?
Pass a length of string around the thickest part of the column, ensuring the string remains relatively level, and mark the circumference. Measure the length between the marks with a tape. Divide distance by pi for the diameter.