Paperspace help needed

Cadflyer48

Need a little help here. I've been an ACAD draftsmen for over 30 years and I must say I am getting very irritated at the moment. I have never used paper space and now I see why. No matter what I set the page up to I cannot get the drawing area to 11x17 (see the picture). I have gone over everything over and over. Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong here? Using ACAD 2015LT

Capture.jpg

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cadflyer48

• ReMark

• BIGAL

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first thing you should do is double click inside the viewport to activate it and then perform a Zoom All. Then take a look at this tutorial: https://www.mycadsite.com/tutorials/level_2/layout-tabs-plotting-autocad-paper-space-2-8.htm

I tried that with no luck. stays the same sizes no matter what I do. I will however checkout the tutorial.

Thanks

If you have been doing lots of drawings where is your title block ? That is the 1st step make it real 17x11 not scaled, then create a viewport inside it. You will not look back once you start using layouts. It can be real simple just a rectang with a couple of boxes with attributes for project details etc.

Felt generous this is a A1 so for 11x17 which is our A3 we just plot the sheet at 1/2 scale NOTE NOT the viewports.

a1-Title.dwg

Edited by BIGAL

Just curious. Has anything been drawn back in model space?

+1 Cutting right to the chase, Good Question.

Sounds like a good candidate for ReMark's Paperspace Viewport thread, which I always have difficulty finding when I want to provide a link. :beer:

It took me a while to find it, here is that link http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?72972-Things-you-should-know-about-Viewports.&highlight=viewport

Either there is nothing in Modelspace or any objects there are pinned at the perimeters after doing Zoom All.

When you have activated the Viewport and double clicked in it, or by simply using the Model tab, you can go there too, hit Ctrl+A, to select all, and you will likely see the items for which you are looking, albeit very far apart. :|

Edited by Dadgad

Well, I have followed the tutorial and I still am ready to chunk this PS stuff and just stay with MS, what I know and what works. I would like to learn this PS thing but I am just not sure after all these years I have the patience even though I am quite sure it is stupid simple to figure out. Here is a simple "new" drawing of a circle and you can see the differences. In PS I will need to use as much of the viewport area as possible.

22.jpg

1.jpg

What scale did you apply to the viewport? Was it 1:1 or something different? What is the radius of the circle you have drawn?

My guess is you have some odd scale assigned to the viewport.

BTW...if you had attached a copy of the drawing instead of an image we would have figured this out already.

My version (down and dirty).

PaperspaceVPort.jpg

The viewport itself is the green object and the scale is 1:1. Normally I put text and dimensions in my layout not in model space. I made an exception in this case. There are pros and cons to each method. Users should test both and select the one that best fits the way they work.

Edited by ReMark

First off your viewport scale is set to 0.6938.

All fixed. I dimensioned it (in red) in the layout. Viewport scale is now 1:1.

PaperspaceVP_fixed.jpg

Suggestion: Create separate layers for your objects, text, dimensions and paper space viewports and give them different colors.

First off your viewport scale is set to 0.6938.

All fixed. I dimensioned it (in red) in the layout. Viewport scale is now 1:1.

[ATTACH]63631[/ATTACH]

Suggestion: Create separate layers for your objects, text, dimensions and paper space viewports and give them different colors.

Like I said before, I have NEVER EVER even so much as looked at PS in my 30 years for CAD. Never had a reason to. However, with the current job I have now it would be useful as I will need to insert multiple VP's for details and such.

I guess it's time to learn then. Last bit of advice. After setting the scale of your viewport(s) it's usually a good idea to lock the display so the scale does not change. All this, and more, is covered in the link you were given early in this thread.

Hahahaha, I guess I am just too stupid to get this. I 'think" I have changed the VP scale to 1:1 and yet this is what I get. So, what simple thing have I missed?

222.jpg

Use the grips on the viewport to resize it. Those blue squares = grips.

I've got field measurements to get so I'll be away from my desk for a good two hours. I will however check back later in case you have further questions.

Use the grips on the viewport to resize it. Those blue squares = grips.

Hahaha, yes, I know what grips are. :) I have tried that but something just still doesn't seem like I have it set up correctly. Oh well, if I can't come to "grips" with it I will chunk and go back to MS that I know works for me. Thanks for the help.

I don't know what you mean by "...something doesn't seem like I have it set up correctly." If you tell me what it is you are trying to accomplish I might be able help you. Did you even bother to view the link that Dadgad provided is his earlier response? I think you are over-looking a good resource for the sake of arguing your point that PS is a waste of time and/or unlearnable.

Edited by ReMark

I don't know what you mean by "...something doesn't seem like I have it set up correctly." If you tell me what it is you are trying to accomplish I might be able help you. Did you even bother to view the link that Dadgad provided is his earlier response? I think you are over-looking a good resource for the sake of arguing your point that PS is a waste of time and/or unlearnable.

Yes, I did "bother" to look at the link! I am not going to argue with anyone about MS vs PS, my age or my years of experience. However, since you brought it up, I am quite sure I got many more years experience with Autocad than most on here including you! Thanks for the help but I dont need attitudes.

I am not sure what I am feeling that is not setup right about the dwg. No matter what I do, when I switch to PS there are various portions of the drawing being cutoff.

Might you, being an old school user, still be using EXTENTS?

Most current users, I believe do not use them, and that might be causing your problem. :|