CAD File way too Large

Mystogan

Hi to all,.

I have this kind of scenario due to large file architectural plan. My computer moves slowly due to very large file... Is there a way to reduce this.

Here are the list that I've tried to far.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/AutoCAD-DWG-files-unexpectedly-increase-in-file-size.html

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-forum/how-to-reduce-file-size-in-autocad/td-p/2708075

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-commands-to-reduce-file-sizes-in-AutoCAD

https://www.cad-notes.com/make-autocad-dwg-files-smaller/

I Know this something is wrong due to large size

Can't attach the file @_@

don't have much experience with architectural plans and I assume you have tried all the standard things like (dgn) purge.

Try audit , wblock (*) , overkill , xref / overlay (parts of) the drawing , freeze layers you don't need. Save the drawing to you HD first... and maybe it's just a big dwg and just need more power , you can never have enough ram.

In case the drawing is corrupt , manually select (by window , not crossing) visible parts and paste them in a new empty drawing... think that's about it...

gr. Rlx

Upload the drawing to a file sharing website like DropBox then post a link to it here. That will give anyone here who wants to a chance to look at it. Best we can do. Trying to solve the problem without a copy of the drawing would be an exercise in futility.

What are your computer specs?

What is the original source of the drawing?

I always Wblock large files out to a new drawing. That will strip out all the garbage which is bloating the drawing and give you the smallest possible file size. If the file is still too large and causing you problems then you may need a more high powered computer. As ReMark asked, what are your computer specs?

I think part of the problem can be traced to the trees and the mosaic that are being used in the drawing.

Unfortunately if you attempt to use the Overkill command on the entire drawing it deletes such objects as the grid and grid bubbles which seems odd.

I've seen / had bigger drawings and my first advice would be , get more firepower. But I do see a huge amound of blocks , is it not possible to combine some of them in dynamic blocks? But since I'm not into construction this may be a stupid idea... any change to the blocks or drawing would time consuming probably , so my second advice would be to split the drawing if possible to some more manageable parts and only combine them for a total view for presentation. 20 mb is not small but I think for this kind of drawing it's not exceptional.

gr. Rlx

ps. for electrical layouts at my work we use plot-plans. That are light-versions from the detailed construction drawings. Most of the time , contours only.

Edited by rlx

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

The architectural plans have multiple layers and various standards. In case, if any layers are not required, deselect and save the file which can later or at the final stage can be merged. The file formats in which it can be saved and shared are .dng, and much more. You can also try wblock (*), audit, overlay section of drawings, and other such layers which are not necessary. In any case, if the file gets corrupted, simply select the visible parts and paste in new drawings.

Thanks & Regards

Roger King

Edited by SLW210
Removed Link