Need Advice for Gutter Layout

Bill Tillman

I need a little advice for a sheet metal application. The attached drawing shows a gutter profile I need to layout. It's supposed to have a 2% slope but if I use that (1.15°) it slopes right past the boundaries of the area I will be installing it in. So I'm choosing 1" for the short side and 3-9/16" for the long side or where the down spout will be.

In trying to make a 3D model of it I used EXTRUDE and then Taper Angle, but it won't work that way. I was able to use the LOFT command but was wondering if anyone with sheet metal experience has a better way to lay it out with the following parameters:

1. The overall dimension I need to cover is 15'-6" but the longest piece my supplier can make is 120" so I will need to use 2 pieces with a 3" overlap.
  2. This forms a box, if you will, 8 total pieces making up 4 sides. The corners need to be mitered but I think that will make sealing the corners a little tricky and it will leak.

Gutter.dwg

Hi Bill you might want to save that to an earlier dwg format than 2018, so that more folks will be able to view it and help you.

I can't open it with 2013.

I don't have 3D, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. :)

I think your slope requirements my be suspect, it seems a bit radical for real life. Here in Central Florida, it rains A LOT in the summer. The local recommendation is 1 to 2 inches per 40'-0". The idea is that a lot of slope will overflow the low end of the gutter because it won't go down the pipe fast enough. Even a flat gutter will drain eventually but it will be holding between 6 to 9 lbs per foot depending on gutter size until it does.

I hung my own 36 foot gutter out back with a 7 in 12 pitch roof running into it, made of 10 foot sections of 6" Home depot vinyl gutter cut to fit, with 4" sq. downspouts at each end. I put a hanger at the very center as high as it would go, and sloped it down about 3/4" at each end, with hangers at about 4'-0" on center +-. That is 3/4" in 18'-0" and neither of our major hurricanes last fall overflowed it. Both aluminum and vinyl gutter are flexible enough to slope that much without kinking all up.

4" sq. downspouts are a must here. We can get 3" of rain in one thunderstorm.

The normal 3" stuff won't drain fast enough.

It does not matter if your gutter leaks a little while it's raining. The rain already has the house wet. It matters a lot if it leaks for days or weeks while clogged with leaves and dead squirrels.

• 1 month later...

The details were made, the metal fab shop was issued a purchase order and they made it so perfect that it slid together like snot on a door knob. The iron worker who doesn't speak English that well told me he understood perfectly. Then what did he do. Instead of engaging the two parts and sealing them he butchered it all up and butt jointed it. Of course it leaks like a sieve and his explanation is he didn't understand the drawings because they were in English....$500 worth of brake metal down the tubes and we're back to square one.

The plumbers friend its called silastic if it leaks you did not slap enough on ! The joins overlapped silastic applied and a couple of screws or rivets. But I am not a roofer just how fixed at home.

The details were made, the metal fab shop was issued a purchase order and they made it so perfect that it slid together like snot on a door knob. The iron worker who doesn't speak English that well told me he understood perfectly. Then what did he do. Instead of engaging the two parts and sealing them he butchered it all up and butt jointed it. Of course it leaks like a sieve and his explanation is he didn't understand the drawings because they were in English....$500 worth of brake metal down the tubes and we're back to square one.
Go to the courthouse, put a mechanic's lien on the guy'a house, business, truck. lunch box, whatever..., and find out where he is and whack him soundly with a length of downspout for about an hour.