Rectangular 3D solid with higher center part

Solvax

Hello Experts,

I am drawing a 3D-solid 50x50 units with thickness 0,3 units

I want the outer part of this shape (20 units) to be 0,3 units lower than the center part which measures 30x30 units

In 3D rendering software I can easlity do this by knifing the shape and then moving the lines/dots/polygons.. but no idea how it's done in AutoCAD.

The 'REVOLVE'-command gets me the closest, but this only works to obtain round base shapes..

Can anyone advise me?

Thanks you for your time!

Attach a copy of the drawing to your next post and someone here will have a look at it. We need a .dwg file not an image file. Thank you.

I cannot add a dwg file because I cannot draw this simple shape.

I just want to have a square 3D solid with a lower (square) inner part.

The dimensions don't matter, it's just about how to achieve this.

Can anyone advise me on how to draw this?

I just want to have a square 3D solid with a lower (square) inner part.

I think he wants to create something like what I'm showing below, where the center blue area is lower than the outer edges. I made this in 3ds Max, where objects like this are dead simple to create, but in Autocad, not so easy.

One way to create this object would be to make 2 solids and subtract one from the other. I'm not an expert with Autocad 3D though, so maybe someone else will have a simpler solution.

Box.jpg

I think he wants to create something like what I'm showing below, where the center blue area is lower than the outer edges. I made this in 3ds Max, where objects like this are dead simple to create, but in Autocad, not so easy.

One way to create this object would be to make 2 solids and subtract one from the other. I'm not an expert with Autocad 3D though, so maybe someone else will have a simpler solution.

It sounds to me like three objects would be required to create this by Subtraction, since the thickness of the material is only 0.3 units, which is the same as the differential described between the inside and outer edges.

There would need to be two objects subtracted, one from above the desired part, and another from below it. :|

Bored, no work, I modeled it for you in Metric (mms).

I used LOFT to generate the RED subtraction bit, from the pair of concentric squares to the left, after moving the smaller square up by 0.3 mms.

I subracted a copy of that Red part from a copy of the GREEN block to generate the other subtraction bit. The GRAY piece later shown as BLUE is shown aligned properly with the other two bits, to the left of the Yellow circle, just before the SUBTRACT command, which will create the final part shown in the Yellow circle.

Probably more fluid and modern ways to do it, possibly with Surface modeling, which I have never done.

This is one old school way to go, hope it helps you. :beer:

Having not had work earlier, and being curious, I modeled this again.

I tried this time with SWEEP utilizing the PATH option. Definitely the way to go.

Screenshot is changed, as is the dwg attachment.

The yellow Solid at the top was created by sweeping the closed yellow linework along the 50x50 closed polyline.

Painless, much better. :beer:

Rectangular 3D Solid with higher center area.dwg

rectangular 3D solid with higher center area.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

Two rectangles, extrude and subtract the inner one to get a square 'donut' and then the chamfer command using two distances of 0.3 and 10 works perfectly, picking one inner surface at a time, it's just a matter of selecting the edge a couple of times. I did two opposite edges first and then the last two automatically created the mitre.

Two rectangles, extrude and subtract the inner one to get a square 'donut' and then the chamfer command using two distances of 0.3 and 10 works perfectly, picking one inner surface at a time, it's just a matter of selecting the edge a couple of times. I did two opposite edges first and then the last two automatically created the mitre.

Good one, never even considered Chamfer!

I still like SWEEP along Path though, really quick and easy. :beer:

Along the same lines as steven-g suggested, you could create the concentric squares, and use the PRESSPULL command, so no subtraction, then use the Chamfer approach. :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

I still like SWEEP along Path though, really quick and easy. :beer:

I hadn't thought of that. Good idea. :thumbsup:

This is still much easier to do in other 3D programs though. I have no idea why Autocad doesn't have an "Inset" command, like every other 3D program.