LGGreen

How do I produce a profiled stone for a stone wall in a building. I need to model a wall in 3D to produce an .stl file to send to a 3D printer to make a model of a stone wall.

Can you provide a photo of the wall you're trying to create? Personally, I wouldn't use Autocad for something like this, but I guess it depends on what type of wall you're trying to make.

Can you provide a photo of the wall you're trying to create? Personally, I wouldn't use Autocad for something like this, but I guess it depends on what type of wall you're trying to make.

Would love to put a photo. How do i do that? All i can find is the icon to insert an image which needs a URL. The photo is in a folder on my pc. Tried drag and drop, tried copy and paste.

Would love to put a photo. How do i do that? All i can find is the icon to insert an image which needs a URL. The photo is in a folder on my pc. Tried drag and drop, tried copy and paste.

Use the GO ADVANCED option in the lower right corner of your post, then select MANAGE ATTACHMENTS from the extended dialog which opens.

Use the GO ADVANCED option in the lower right corner of your post, then select MANAGE ATTACHMENTS from the extended dialog which opens.

Thanks for the help.

Just a wild guess here. Perhaps via a mesh which consists of vertices, edges and faces that can all be manipulated in some manner?

Just a wild guess here. Perhaps via a mesh which consists of vertices, edges and faces that can all be manipulated in some manner?

I thought that may be a solution. Big learning process there for a stone that is only 2mm x 4mm! But here goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Where is my manual!!!

This is the type of stone I need to model in AutoCad. My initial thought is that it is probably not possible, but I like a challenge. Just modelling one stone would suffice. For others I can easily resize/rotate/mirror etc.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to do something like this in Autocad. If this was my project, I would create the basic wall in 3ds Max and then export to ZBrush to sculpt all the detail, then export to .stl for printing.

Good luck with Autocad.

It would be feasible to create a mesh of points then play with the z value, re triangulating every time, to get something that has a stone face look. Using multiple plines may be another way and create a mesh. A 3d camera would solve the problem very quick.

Have you looked on google ? Try 3ds max objects 1st.

For any one have a play with this just made an array of points started to edit the points Z and retriangulated re CIV3D, turned on contours and starting to get a shape. The 3dfaces are in layer c-tinn-view.

Screen Shot 04-16-18 at 12.53 PM.jpg

new block.dwg

I thought that may be a solution. Big learning process there for a stone that is only 2mm x 4mm! But here goes, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Where is my manual!!!

2mm x 4mm? I would call that a bb.

It would be feasible to create a mesh of points then play with the z value, re triangulating every time, to get something that has a stone face look. Using multiple plines may be another way and create a mesh. A 3d camera would solve the problem very quick.

Have you looked on google ? Try 3ds max objects 1st.

For any one have a play with this just made an array of points started to edit the points Z and retriangulated re CIV3D, turned on contours and starting to get a shape. The 3dfaces are in layer c-tinn-view.

I have looked at the block.dwg. Is it an extruded rectangle to form a box. On top of this is an array of 3D surface independent triangles. To move a vertex each of the surrounding triangles needs to be selected then the group of vertices can be moved in the Z direction to form a sort of pyramid. Not sure what the function of the points is at this stage. Finally I assume the triangles have somehow to be joined to make a single surface. This then needs to nbe the top surface of the box to make a 3D solid.

Lggreen you are right I just did that as a make a shape using points. Randomising the points to get a more irreguar pattern would be better. Again find some one with a 3d scanner and a few minutes work.

This is a 3d scan of a stormwater drain if you look closely you can see the stone faces in 3d unfortunately image has been scaled down to allow posting.

Screen Shot 09-04-17 at 02.30 PM 001.jpg

Lggreen you are right I just did that as a make a shape using points. Randomising the points to get a more irreguar pattern would be better. Again find some one with a 3d scanner and a few minutes work.

This is a 3d scan of a stormwater drain if you look closely you can see the stone faces in 3d unfortunately image has been scaled down to allow posting.

I think I finally managed to 3D model an individual stone. I created a box mesh slightly larger than the final stone size of 3.8mm x 1.8mm (small!).Then by moving the faces/vertices/edges of the top surface of the box I made a rough looking stone. This was converted to a 3D solid with smoothing. This created a box with rounded edges. These were sliced off to reveal the final stone. I am currently 3D printing a prototype. I will post a picture of the result later.

Although no one managed to come up with a realistic solution your ideas and posts helped me enormously. Thanks for your help guys.

Screen Shot 2018-04-17 at 16.08.09.jpg

This is a 3D printed 20mm cube with the stonework added. Not bad for a first attempt! I need to model a few more stones together with a few 180 degree rotations and mirrored versions to get a more random effect.

IMG_8669.jpg

I would be interested to see the results, what type of printer are you using? in general, a layer thickness of 0.2 to 0.3mm seems the average which isn't going to give you much detail on something that small.

I hit send and there it was, that actually looks pretty good, well done

I would be interested to see the results, what type of printer are you using? in general, a layer thickness of 0.2 to 0.3mm seems the average which isn't going to give you much detail on something that small.

I hit send and there it was, that actually looks pretty good, well done

I am using a Flashforge Dreamer and Simplify3D slicing software. My layers are 0.1mm and I run the outer layer at a fairly slow speed in order to get the detail.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LGGreen

Here's a potential way to do it...

1. Use the picture and turn it into an excel spreadsheet - there are some free tools out there such as http://think-maths.co.uk/spreadsheet - each of the cells in the spreadsheet will have a number that refers to the shade of grey.

2. If you create a mesh that matches the number of cells in the spreadsheet (rows by columns in the excel match the xstep by ystep in the mesh) then use lisp routine to step cell by cell through the excel file and apply the grey-value in each cell to pull the mesh node in the z direction - hey presto - automatic wall.

3. If you then used mesh2solid.lsp (can be found on the net) you can turn the mesh into a solid and you can apply the picture onto the surface so you got a convincing wall.

It would take some clever programming, but the technique could be quite good for turning pictures into reliefs if the 3d model was passed through slicer to go into a 3d printer