Table Manipulation

therock005

I dont usually do tables, but when i do (like i did today) i get in trouble. IT fills like table functionality is still broken and not as intuitive as it should be.

-First off how do i choose universal justification settings. It seems every thing to be at top right as default, and one by one i habe to set it to middle center

-Text style seems weird. When i set it via properties menu, it keeps the default. Instead i have to type inside a ceel and set it there to get the desired effect

-Numbering gives me issues. How do i set the decimal points. IT seems to take that value based on my units settings, but of course i need at times for point precision to be different. Another thing bothering me, is i dont need it to make calculations. For exampel when i type 750/1000 i literally want that to be displayed, not a result of 3/4. Instead i place a "'" then edit value and remove it.

Can i get some guidance

1. You can SHIFT select multiple cells to set the alignment for all at once.

2. Text in cells behave like MTEXT. It can take on the properties of the style (of the cell), or the font itself can be overridden for as little as one character inside of a cell

3. Same as #1, you can SHIFT select multiple cells and then ensure that the data type is Decimal, then set the precision.

3A. Turn off Autostacking and make sure the data type of the cell is TEXT in order to display 750/1000 (Hint, look for the little lightning bolt icon after it stacks by default)

HTH

I didnt have much lack with the autostacking, cant find it to be honest, but if setting as text first then entering contents it works. Shift selecting and setting justification and decimal values worked, and things eventually got better, but still i feel as tables should be improved as a function. Thanx for your help man

Yeah, there are some frustrations for sure. I don't know that much have been done with Tables since they were first introduced.

They seem to more or less move on to the *next* new feature.

After you type in 750/1000 - if it "stacks" this as a fraction, move your cursor in the area, you should see a little icon appear with a lightning bolt in it.

Click on this and you'll eventually get to the this dialog shown here: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Disabling-AutoStack.html

It sounds to me like you should create a COLUMN STYLE, or perhaps multiple styles, which will define Text style, size, justification, and lots of other things like UPPERCASE, lowercase or TitleCase.

Once I get a table set up how I like it I will usually LOCK the FORMAT, so that it doesn't change unless I unlock the format.

Once you have SAVED it as a NEW Table Style, include it in your personal .dwt, as the CURRENT Table Style, so you will have it available in the future.

Edited by Dadgad

I don't do a lot of tables, but, when I do, I do the work in Excel then create a Table in AutoCAD using "From a data link" and use the Excel Sheet. So far I have not had any problems.

I also at one time used Excel a whole lot, so I am much more comfortable using Excel over setting up an AutoCAD Table and there is a lot more information on the internet for setting up Excel if you run into problems.