Join objects to reduce size in 2d dwg file?

Mr newbie

I am a complete newbie with cad. I have received 2d dwg of a factory floor that i will use as a background drawing in another program. The problem is that the dwg is very big/heavy and therefor my other program gets slow. There is a lot of machines drawn as 2d shapes with a lot of lines that layer seems to be the biggest by far.

I have tried some pointers that i found online. Purge,overkill and so on it helped a bit but the drawing is still slow/big. I was wondering if there was a way to make the machines into one giant object like a picture or similar to make the drawing smaller and therefor faster to load?

There is no need for me to keep the original cad objects i only need a smaller dwg for my other program and use the drawing as a dead background.

One strategy is to make blocks out of shapes that occur often. If there's one type of machine, or just a few types, you can replace them with blocks.

Because blocks are stored and used more efficiently, consider shoveling sections of the drawing into blocks.

A third strategy is to put the "background" in a separate drawing and then add it to your drawing as an xref (external reference).

You certainly can convert the background to an image or a pdf and insert that. I would recommend including a scale in it so that you can insert it properly.

Those are a few of the most simple tools. I'm sure you'll get more suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...

If it is just a simple outline of the factory floor you require then you can draw a poly line. I create a new layer with a bright colour. I then set this layer as current and draw a poly line around the perimeter. once created Copy it. Got to the drawing you want it in and paste it. You can get really clever and copy with base point. I type my commands at the command line but im sure it will be available from the ribbon/toolbar/menus. Use AutoCAD help for a more detailed explanation.

i only need a smaller dwg for my other program and use the drawing as a dead background.

You keep mentioning your "other program". It would help to know what program you're using, since that program is the one that's running slow when the CAD file is inserted. But, if all you need is an image of the CAD file for a background, I would do as CyberAngel suggested and create a pdf or other image type and insert that into your other program.

Appologies Mr Newbie. I just read Cad 64s post so ignore mine. I thought you were trying to insert into another dwg not another program

Thank you for your pointers. I have now managed to reduce the size of the DWG to an OK size. It also turned out to be a graphic driver issue in win 10 that caused the dwg to be extra slow WIN 7 works OK.