tartan/plaid

leaf

Hi

I am trying to create a tartan/plaid design using hatch solid......overlapping stripes eg a yellow over a red = orange.........what are the steps so the colours merge.ie create the orange? any instructions would be appreciated

Edited by leaf

You want to basically mix two different color hatches, as they cross, and see (on screen) a third color. Is that correct?

My answer would be... it won't work.

I guess I was wrong. See next post.

Edited by ReMark

Hi Re Mark thankyou for replying........you are correct, yes ........and no I don't think you're wrong as the only way it can be done is to slide the transparency to 50% ....not so sure if this way gives the colour I'm after............but I will print and see......................mike

Ok, if you're crossing a yellow line with a red line and you set the transparency of the red line to 50%, you will get orange at the intersection of the two lines, but since the red line is now set at 50% transparency, it is no longer red. It is now pink.

Which could end up giving you 5 'colors' because where the red lines overlap (1 horizontal, 1 vertical) they give 100% red, and by varying the number, the pattern and the width as well as the transparency you could have a lot of variation.

I actually use this a lot in LT to check for duplicate and overlapping areas of polylines, using qselect to select all polylines and hatching them at 50% gives a really quick and visual indication of where areas overlap. Even just polylines quickly change the global width and give them a 50% transparency shows up where parts of polylines overlap, because sometimes overkill fails to detect them.

My 0.05$ if yo made pline with a width and a colour array them in vertical and horizontal then make squares at the cross point a different colour and use draw order, just a guess it may work.

Ok, if you're crossing a yellow line with a red line and you set the transparency of the red line to 50%, you will get orange at the intersection of the two lines, but since the red line is now set at 50% transparency, it is no longer red. It is now pink.

Thankyou and I see what you mean..........look's like autocad is not the software for this.......I'll have to use/learn illustator or other programme........thankyou cad64 for informing /confirming that autocad can't do it......mike

You want to basically mix two different color hatches, as they cross, and see (on screen) a third color. Is that correct?

My answer would be... it won't work.

I guess I was wrong. See next post.

Ok, if you're crossing a yellow line with a red line and you set the transparency of the red line to 50%, you will get orange at the intersection of the two lines, but since the red line is now set at 50% transparency, it is no longer red. It is now pink. quote from cad64

Re Mark above is a reply from cad64 which proves you were not wrong....I think their might be a way autocad can do it but not as an efficient/straightforward way as illustrator?...mike

Well when you figure out a way to do it, and not change the original color of the lines where they do NOT cross please come back and show us how. Good luck.

It can be done, but AFAIK, it will require a good deal of work in AutoCAD. You could just go through and create all three colors or use a darker red that comes out correct when used with transparency. You could also try using less transparency.

There is also SUPERHATCH that hatches using an image file, just create or find the appropriate image.

It may help to know what the purpose of this would be.