watercolor - non uniform hatch

gianni

Hello, I'm looking for some help in the task of making my plans less boring. I'd like to use some non - uniform hatches to obtain something similar to the attached image. https://images.adsttc.com/media/images/595d/1743/b22e/38d8/8b00/0036/slideshow/SAN_-_siteplan_-_rooftop.jpg?1499273017 The building probably has a gradient hatch, while the lawn, and the concrete plaza, what hatch did they use for it? Thanks in advance.

For the term "Hatch" to be valid, one needs to assume this is a Cad drawing of some sort, and it probably is, but not necessarily.

The two curved roof buildings at the lower right are gradient hatches, all the rest are all solid fill hatches of different shades in the same color range. Each different shade is a separate hatch with a distinct border. For the lawn areas and trees, the linework (hatch Boundaries), using splines for curves, are the same color as the hatch so the lines don't show up.

The very nature of hatches precludes the use of random patterns or more than one color with the exception of gradient fill. If you open a *.pat file with Notepad and look at the content, you will see a coded description of a small pattern that can be repeated to fill any given area, but there is only one pattern.

Although your idea is a good one, one AutoCad hatch can only do one thing.

You can however, produce a pdf, jpg, or png file of your drawing and open it in a program as simple as MS Paint to apply many different colors in random patterns with far greater speed, and far less work than hatching in AutoCad

• 4 weeks later...

The very nature of hatches precludes the use of random patterns or more than one color with the exception of gradient fill.

Don't forget about "Superhatch". I know, it sounds made up, but you can use images (or blocks/xrefs which could contain images) as the base of your "hatch pattern".

Well raster images can be added to AutoCAD and one can also use raster (jpgs) as hatch patterns with the SuperHatch tool. You can also bring the drawing into Photoshop, Illustrator, Corel Draw, Inkscape and other graphic programs. One older program was M-Color which would allow one to colors, hatches and such with AutoCAD layers.

https://www.m-color.com/

Good luck

Edit: RK beat me by a minute with SuperHatch. +1 for bringing it up as I have gotten good results with it over the years.