shared parameters

bjenk8100

Hello,

I am wondering why you can only have one shared parameter for label on a titleblock. Took me long enough to figure out how to share the label on titleblock successfully with a project file. Then I find out You can only use 1 shared parameter from titleblock for entire project. Really?

Figured it out. It is such a pain in the ass! Why make something so simple so weird. Title block should be the easiest thing to do. If text on my title block will never change like my company name I will just use regular text. I am not going to try and do label types after all that frustration. I really see no point. Only reason I am using label instances is because you cannot change regular text in a title block once in a project. Lol, these labels are like an eight step procedure. If anyone is interested I listed steps I use below.

In title block:

click create label, click new, shared parameter file, create your file (txt), new group, new parameter, SAVE, then load family to project.

In Project:

Title block is loaded but not of labels are usable. You have to go to project parameter icon in modify and then add the ones that you made in share parameters in title block. What a mess.

If text on my title block will never change like my company name I will just use regular text.
Why would you not do that to begin with? Of course use stationary text for things that will never change.

click create label, click new, shared parameter file, create your file (txt), new group, new parameter, SAVE, then load family to project.
These steps should not be included as a mandatory task for each TB label. These steps are considered company standards and setup, and is a one time task for internal uses. Anyone who uses Revit should already have a standard Shared Parameter File created and maintained. SPF's are the Holy Grail of information handling in Revit. If you just now created a new SPF after all the years of using Revit then you have been doing things wrong for a long time.

Title block is loaded but not of labels are usable. You have to go to project parameter icon in modify and then add the ones that you made in share parameters in title block. What a mess.
They're not usable at first for a reason. Think about it - if every single parameter from all loaded Families were automatically available in the Project Environment, you'd literally be shuffling through potentially thousands of Parameters. Think you're complaining now? Try it the other way, lol.

Information handling in Revit requires 3rd party programs for batch processes. You can find very good SP handling add-ins for reasonable prices. I suggest looking into a few and choosing the one that works best for you.

-TZ