Identify the colour of a 3D solid drawn on layer 0

Manila Wolf

Good day. I am hoping somebody can help here. Please consider this scenario: -

Imagine that in AutoCAD the layer is set to 0 but also the colour control is set to a colour other than "Bylayer".

A shape is drawn and then extruded. The resultant 3D solid is on layer 0 and all faces are as the colour chosen in step 1 above.

Then the Layer is reset to 0 but colour set to bylayer. Bylayer colour in this case being White.

A new shape is drawn and then extruded. This resultant new 3D solid is on layer 0 and all faces are colour "Bylayer" which is white.

The 2nd extrusion is subtracted from the first extrusion.

On the modified first extrusion the faces in the subtracted area are white.

Question: -

If I received the attached drawing "WhatColour.dwg"

How can I find out what the actual exact colour of the solid is?

WhatColour.dwg

Bit of a riddle, wrapped in an enigma.

I played around with it for a few minutes, too bad there is no History saved.

I was unable to learn anything from it. :|

Aren't there just two colors you can pick from... white and whatever the color override was set to in step 1?

Dadgad, thanks for taking a look. At least you have confirmed that I am not the only one who can't figure this out. It is indeed an enigma.

I believe if there was a saved history of the model then it may indicate the colours.

ReMark, thanks for responding. The problem is that I can't pick anything which lists the colour that was selected in step 1. I can get colour listed as Bylayer but that is white.

I created the drawing myself purely as an example so I do know the colour in this particular case, but if I had received the drawing from some other person I would not know the colour.

I tried exploding and listing, copying faces and then listing, but always it's shown as bylayer.

Maybe there is some hidden DXF data or VLA Object data that can be extracted that may help, but it's beyond me.

Not the end of the world if I can't figure it out. It's just annoying as I don't like to be beaten. :)

Try this:

Hold down the Ctrl key and then click on any face of the object. The color should then be identified in your Properties palette. In this case, when I hold down the Ctrl key and click on one of the pink colored faces, The Properties palette tells me the color is 231.

Color.jpg

Cad64,

That's it. You solved it.

Sincere thanks. It's been bugging me soooooooo much.

I thank you again. Especially as you took time and presented the answer so clearly.

Cheers.

Try this:

Hold down the Ctrl key and then click on any face of the object. The color should then be identified in your Properties palette. In this case, when I hold down the Ctrl key and click on one of the pink colored faces, The Properties palette tells me the color is 231.

Bravo Cad64, very well done! :beer: