Do I need rfa-files for pipe segements?

Siberian

I've got some rfa-files for pipe parts from a manufacturer. However, I only have files for the parts - not the pipe itself - is that an issue? Or are rfa-files for pipe segments unneeded as a pipe is just a cylindrical object with a given diameter anyway?

Currently I've tried to only use the part files and duplicated and edited one of the pipe segments that comes with Revit to fit with my parts' diameter. Is that the way to go?

First, you need to understand the difference in a Loadable Family versus a System Family. Reference here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/Revit-Model/files/GUID-403FFEAE-BFF6-464D-BAC2-85BF3DAB3BA2-htm.html

Essentially, these "pipe parts" you're referring to (Pipe Accessories or Pipe Fittings is the proper category term in Revit) can be loaded in and used. Revit's pipe families are pre-defined in Revit - it's hard coded in and is always there. You don't load it in and you cannot remove it.

Pipe is defined in the Manage Ribbon > MEP Settings > Mechanical Settings > Pipe Settings > Segments and Sizes. This is where you can get the material catalog of ID/OD pipe sizes and define them as needed.

-TZ

Thanks. So the answer to my second question is yes then? What I've got are files that are to be loaded, and I am able to do this and set up a routing preference using these parts/files, but for some reason I'm only able to draw a straight pipe segment. As soon as a part is to be used the cursor only shows the prohibited-symbol. Not sure what's wrong...

I would double check the routing preferences to ensure you have this set up properly. Just because it's manufacturer's content doesn't mean it's going to work - there are many cases where manufacturer's content is broken and is why most seasoned Revit MEP users will not use most downloadable content, instead opting for editing stock content.

Also, consider defaults for now to get you going if you are new to Revit. I would get used to Revit first with defaults rather than fight the platform with outside content that only creates more headaches.

-TZ