PDF to DWG

Eurodude

Gents

A little help if possible - I just noticed in Adobe Acrobat DC an option in the menu to export to AutoCAD.

This would be extremely useful for me but I can't get it working. when I tried first time a cad session started, I switched to the window and there was an empty drawing. When I looked in the command history I saw this:-

Command: PDFICEX Unknown command "PDFICEX". Press F1 for help. (this is on my laptop with legal release 2017

Do any of you guys know how to work this?? Does it only work with rel. 2018 perhaps?

Many Thanks in advance

Just found PDFimport command in rel. 2017 by the way. Still nice to know about Adobe's version though.

Edited by Eurodude
added info

Thanks I'll try that of course. Think I am sorted with the Acad import facility though.

Seems to work very well.

I just opened a PDF in Acrobat DC (current version) and I did not have an "Export to AutoCAD" option. Not calling you a liar but I have never seen this.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Yes, the improved PDF to DWG in AutoCAD work very well.

I just opened a PDF in Acrobat DC (current version) and I did not have an "Export to AutoCAD" option. Not calling you a liar but I have never seen this.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Yes, the improved PDF to DWG in AutoCAD work very well.

It's in the dropdown menu on the right above the comments list (forgot how to do screen grabs :cry: )

Thanks for that - I'll give it a try.

No problem. It's a great tool and that it's free and NO spyware is the cherry on the top!

Ok, I found it but I get an error that it "Failed to Launch AutoCAD" when I tried it.

TIL (today I learned) ;)

Screenshot_3.jpg

Yup

I learned too. Think you have to have release 2017 on the same machine but I still got the the empty drawing on try one and failed to launch every other try.

Never mind - turns out rel 2017 has a good import pdf facility now so no worrie

Well I have AutoCAD 2019 as well as current Acrobat DC Pro (Adobe CC) and that might be it. I tried to dig into Acrobat's preferences for export and I found no DWG reference. For viewing and using CAD based PDF files Bluebeam is a FAR better solution, imho. ;)

The only thing I have seen documented on any PDF exporting to AutoCAD is for comments and looks like the PDF needs to be created by PDFMaker.

Export comments to AutoCAD (Acrobat Pro on Windows)

You may have reviewers add comments to a PDF that was created from an AutoCAD drawing. If you use AutoCAD PDFMaker to create a PDF, you can import comments into the AutoCAD drawing, rather than switch between AutoCAD and Acrobat DC. You can import most comment types, including drawing markups, sticky notes, stamps, and text edits.

1 Save the PDF to ensure that recently added comments are included.

2 Do one of the following:

•From the options menu in the comments list, choose Export To AutoCAD, and then specify the PDF file and the AutoCAD file in the Import Comments dialog box.

•In AutoCAD, choose Acrobat Markups > Import Comments From Acrobat DC.

3 In the Import Comments dialog box, specify the PDF that contains the comments, specify which comments to import, and click Continue. If you import a custom set of comments, specify the set by making sure that only the characteristics you want are selected. You must select at least one option in each category.

Show By Reviewer

Imports comments by individual reviewers.

Show By Type

Imports comments by type, such as text edits or note comments.

Show By Status

Imports comments by review status.

Show By Checked State

Imports comments that are checked.

All imported comments appear in the Adobe Acrobat Markups layer as custom objects that you can edit, filter, or delete.

4 To modify an imported comment (change the status, add a check mark, or modify text), right-click the comment, choose Acrobat Comments, and then choose an option.

For one stop shopping the import tool on AutoCAD 2017 is great and works very well, as long as your working with vectored PDFs anything else it doesn't do so well.

For one stop shopping the import tool on AutoCAD 2017 is great and works very well, as long as your working with vectored PDFs anything else it doesn't do so well.

Yes I was impressed when I tried it with a process line diagram - joined lines came in as polylines text came in as Ariel multiline text.

Ironically the second one I imported looked like it had AutoCad standard font when the PDF was made from the cadfile. Text came in as geometry.

I am guessing I need to get the acad standard font and save it somewhere Acrobat can find it perhaps.