Autocad imported 3d object, dimensioning in paperspace viewport

Lookie

Hello,

I have been struggling with the following:

I have a dxf 3d object that I've imported to AC. What i would like to do is:

1.create a paperspace viewport via "Layout">"Base">"From Model Space". I can't figure what's wrong with this step, because it won't create

2.if I create the named viewport and rotate the object accordingly the viewport, then the dimensions aren't correctly positioned and visible (rotated fo 90 deg. etc)

Basically I would like to have this object in three or four views, being also able to dimension each view.vitrina_iveral_sirsi_podn_strop_venc2.dwg

I would appreciate any help or tips regarding this matter. Thank you.

I have moved your thread to the AutoCAD 3D Modelling & Rendering Forum.

The drawing you posted does not contain 3D Solids or Surfaces or Inventor Models, so Layout>Base will not work. It appears to be made up of Blocks of mostly 3D Faces, try making it into 3D Solids.

There should be plenty of tutorials around on dimensioning in 3D, it just takes practice.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I tried to convert it into 3D solid, like you suggested, but it won't go. What would be the most "correct" and sufficient way to make a viewport based on this 3D object, able of dimensioning? As I read one shouldn't dimension in paperspace, only in model space.

Thanks for help.

BR,

Luka

3D models can be dimensioned in either the paper space layout or in model space. I know because I have done it both ways. Users should test both methods and choose the one that works best for their particular situation.

I broke the drawing down and some of the underlying geometry appears a bit suspect. I not sure if it will convert properly from a 3Dface to a 3D solid using the one or two custom lisp routines that are available.

Thanks. Would you by any chance have a solution for this case with the 3D object that I prepend for this thread? I would appreciate your help in how to do this, because I'm a bit lost here on this matter. Is it even possible to convert my object to surface / solid? I tried but couldn't do it ...

vitrina999.dwg

Ok, so I've made a new sample viewport for this 3D object and I prepend the file. The problem is obviously with the dimensioning in the paperview layout. Can somebody please point me in the right direction on how to "align" the dimensions according to the each view in viewport? Thank you!

BR,

Luka

I attempted to dimension the side view only to find that the drawing utilizes decimal inches. I expected it to be in millimeters or centimeters. One other thing. You show a dimension of 781 in model space but when I measure the distance it is 800. Could you explain why?

What size paper were you planning on using? A3 or A4?

Edited by ReMark

Just dimension in PaperSpace on non-iso views and dimensioning will work as normal. If you must have dimensions in MS then you will need to orient the UCS each time before dimensioning as you move from front, to side, to top, etc. Make three or more layers and place the dims on those layers so you can freeze and thaw depending on the view in PS.

Hi!

Thats weird. I checked and the setting is decimal, but I always thought that those were milimeters ... I checked and it was set to "unitless". The distance is 800, correct, I guess the dimension wasn't snapped to the correct position. I intend to use A3, yes.

Thank for your help and further tips.

BR,

Luka

If that is the case then follow rkent's advice. Do me a favor though. Please dimension the bottom of the vitrina(?) as shown in the front view. It should be 800 as per your reply above.

• 2 weeks later...