Excel Datalink tables are very slow

Good morning

I am creating a drawing with datalinked tables from an excel file. There are 7 tables, about 5 columns x 10 rows (so not too huge) created via Table -> Datalink from 3 tabs in an excel file. I created the excel file from scratch yesterday - so no fancy stuff like Macros or anything loitering from other work.

However things like adding a new table or updating the data is very slow (15 minutes+ to add a new table).

If I make up the drawing with 3 tables (combining the tables together in excel) it still takes the same time to do anything.

So I am looking for hints or tips of how to speed things up.

Things I noticed:

If I go to task manager, and with excel closed, there is an excel background process happening, eating up my CPU %. If I end this process, magically the table I am working on finishes what it is doing... but I have to save and restart AutoCAD to continue working.. which is quicker than waiting but not what I want to be doing all the time.

If I select the table, right click and 'Data Links' -> 'Download Changes from Source File' to each table, this is quicker than using the datalinkupdate command for the whole drawing.

Thanks for any help.

What is your Excel version?

What is your AutoCAD version?

Windows OS version?

PC specs?

Are all these files on your PC, or on a server, or on a cloud service?

HI Thanks for starting to look.

Its AutoCAD 2018 and Excel 2016, windows 10 and a fairly OK PC (and lets assume that the company arnt't going to upgrade it to save me 30 minutes waiting)

I've tried both, the files on the C drive and on the server, but it doesn't make much difference

I have had trouble with creating new tables with datalinks as well, updating links has not been a problem. The same datalinks were fine in AutoCAD 2011. I just figured I needed a more powerful computer. AutoCAD 2018, Excel 2013 and Windows 7 here.

If I go to task manager, and with excel closed, there is an excel background process happening, eating up my CPU %. If I end this process, magically the table I am working on finishes what it is doing... but I have to save and restart AutoCAD to continue working.. which is quicker than waiting but not what I want to be doing all the time.

It appears you may be having a problem not related to AutoCAD: any chance you can get a test log-in into Windows10 from your IT and confirm the problem still exists?

Your other method to update is a good workaround for now as well.