coordinates mismatch - what am I doing wrong?

cat3appr

Hello,

I'm getting confused on the following: I opened the attached DWG which seems to have already its own coordinates, ( i mean it wasn't palced at 0,0 )

I got a list of targets which are in the area, however when I plot any of them, they get plotted somewhere super far away, can't even see it in the zoom/extend,

ID Easting (m) Northing (m)

JAM-R-001 457592.4 6246309.0

JAM-R-002 457606.2 6246291.9

JAM-R-003 457606.8 6246325.9

Something is not right then. The coordinate systems for the targets are here beow : - i tried to assign a coordinate system on my autocad, but the EPSG code 1311 is not even found... so i'm wondering , what am I doing wrong? how does it work? do i even have to assign the coordinates? Why don't i see my target plotted in the area? many thank!!!

Project Datum: UTM Zone 31 (EPSG code: 1311)

Datum Parameters: WGS84

Spheroid: WGS84

Semi-major Axis: 6378137.000m

Semi-minor Axis: 6356752.314m

Inverse Flattening (1/f): 298.257223563

Datum Parameters: ED50

Spheroid: International (Hayford 1924)

Semi-major Axis: 6378388.000m

Semi-minor Axis: 6356911.946m

Inverse Flattening (1/f): 297.000000000

Unit: International Metre

Projection Parameters

Projection Type: Universal Transverse Mercator

Zone: 31 North

Leadon_Background.dwg

There is always the possibility that you are doing nothing wrong.

Perhaps the list of targets belongs to another site which is 360 kilometres to the South

Cant see in zoom extend means you have at least one object at say 0,0 and the rest way over there. There are some tricks to find simplest is zoom extents and look for a dot in the corners look at co-ordinates you can uze zoom c 0,0 scale if thats the case to see whats there. If you search here there are a number of how to find posts.

It's hard to determine the location of a drawing when there's no benchmark. Then again, it's hard to find benchmarks in the middle of the North Sea.

From what I can learn (having zero experience with European mapping), Zone 31 has Y=0 at the Equator and X=0 at the Prime Meridian, i.e 0 degrees N and 0 degrees E. If the original drawing is set in Zone 31, then the points you were given belong where eldon's map shows them. It seems strange to me that you would receive a set of points with no clue about what they represent or where they should appear.