Updating AutoCAD Attributes with Excel

Jim Clayton

Hey Everyone. Working on the following issue. I’m building a BOM user interface in Excel that has the same layout as the attached Autocad version. It allows people to build BOM’s with greater speed and accuracy. I’m trying to populate the CAD attributes, either through importing or linking or alternate method with the data from the Excel file. I’m familiar with the ATTIN/ATTOUT process. It works fine. But since there are going to be multiple people doing this daily, I need it to be as few steps as possible. I know I’m not the first person to ask this but I’m having a hard time finding a resolution. Is there a way to populate the attributes with the information from Excel with a minimal number of steps? Either from the Excel side, or through Lisp on the CAD side? Some VBA maybe? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tks.

BOM.dwg

There is just so much autocad excel out there so where to start. I use getexcel.lsp which has a number of functions that yo can use, there is other code out there as well its a case of picking one and building on it.

Stuff like in excel what cell picked, autocad pick a block and fill in attribute details.

Start searching with say "Excel to title block Autocad" lots of suggestions.

Thanks for the reply. And yes, I've been searching thoroughly so far but will try that phrasing to make sure I didn't miss anything. Not familiar with getexcel.lsp...I appreciate having a starting point now. The furthest I've gotten with it up till now was the somewhat lengthy ATTIN/ATTOUT process and yesterday came across something with Excel and the Data Extraction Wizard but I need to revisit it because I think I did it wrong. Again thanks for the help.

Why not just use Datalink? you can make the table cells invisible for printing purposes. Could datalink the BOM and a seperate table for Title Block Attributes.