Additional Carriage Returns Added to Posts

Lee Mac

Are you seeing extra carriage-returns added between paragraphs when posting?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Are you seeing extra carriage-returns added between paragraphs when posting?

Is anyone else noticing that additional carriage returns are being automatically added between paragraphs in a post?

Using FF 60.0.2 64-bit.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lee Mac

• rkmcswain

• CADTutor

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not seeing it on here, also using FF60.0.2 64-bit. (Win 10 1803, build 17134.112).

I do get it on some other forums that are IPBoard based, but it's a known problem with the IPB forum reply editor itself.

(It will even do it between every line on some forums).

The usual solution is to use 'shift+enter' to stop it putting the extra linespace in. (Or just backspace when it does it).

If it's being a problem try writing any long posts in Notepad or similar, then copy/paste into the forum editor.

I'm not seeing it on here, also using FF60.0.2 64-bit. (Win 10 1803, build 17134.112).

I do get it on some other forums that are IPBoard based, but it's a known problem with the IPB forum reply editor itself.

(It will even do it between every line on some forums).

The usual solution is to use 'shift+enter' to stop it putting the extra linespace in. (Or just backspace when it does it).

If it's being a problem try writing any long posts in Notepad or similar, then copy/paste into the forum editor.

To clarify, I don't see the extra lines in the forum post editor, they seem to be added after the post is submitted.

This is also only a relatively recent issue, as I've not experienced this in the 10 years I've been a member here, and I've not changed my posting habits.

Which Editor on CADTutor are you using, Enhanced (WYSIWYG), Basic or Standard?

The WYSIWYG editor, but have also seen it using the Quick Reply editor.

After posting, I find that I have to edit every post to remove the extra blank lines.

I do not see it happening.

The spaces in between these sentences are added by me

Just trying to force this to be a long message.

One more line here.

Correct @Lee_Mac, as stated in the message, I added those spaces in between the lines of the post, and there is no extra space at the bottom of the message.

Is anyone else noticing that additional carriage returns are being automatically added between paragraphs in a post?

Using FF 60.0.2 64-bit.

Maybe this is geographical (keyboard driver?) because I'm seeing the same thing. I've found that doing a preview, then going back to the editor, shows the extra carriage returns which I can edit out.

Correct @Lee_Mac, as stated in the message, I added those spaces in between the lines of the post, and there is no extra space at the bottom of the message.

Based on your test, perhaps I wasn't clear in my original explanation of the issue that I'm encountering - as a demonstration, I'll post screenshots of how the post editor is presented versus how the resulting post appears on the forums.

Here is the start of another test paragraph, with only a single line break in between the two paragraphs.

Here is a third paragraph, again, with only a single line separating the blocks of text - let's see how this is presented in the forum post.

And now the results...

Hard to tell from screenshots. Are you saying that extra returns are being injected in between the sentences?

Using FF, right? Highlight the text in the body of your post, then right-click and choose "Inspect Element".

Are there truly extra returns in the HTML code?

I checked your post in this thread (post #14) and it does have extra returns, but I don't know if you purposely added those as an example.

MjBUwwK.png

Hard to tell from screenshots. Are you saying that extra returns are being injected in between the sentences?

Yes. In the screenshots you will see that there is only a single line separating paragraphs in the post editor, but two lines separating the paragraphs in the resulting post.

Using FF, right? Highlight the text in the body of your post, then right-click and choose "Inspect Element".

Are there truly extra returns in the HTML code?

Yes, there are extra line breaks

I checked your post in this thread (post #14) and it does have extra returns, but I don't know if you purposely added those as an example.

No - as shown by the post editor screenshot - I did not add the extra returns.