I need pipes and rise/drop symbols to have different line weights

Siberian

I like certain pipe systems to have a certain line weight, say 6. That's not the difficult part, I can do that using either a filter or override the system's display settings. But - I would still like the rise/drop symbol to have a lower value line weight - otherwise it just looks like a blob, and not a distinct circle. I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. Hope someone can shed a hint on this.

Subcategory. Expand the Pipe category to expose the rise/drop subcategories which allows you to control these independently.

I'm aware of that option, but when I first override a pipe system's line weight to make it heavier, then that line weight apparently also overrides the settings in the rise/drop subcategory. Can I perhaps make the system's line weight heavier in some other matter that won't affect the rise/drop?

The pipe category does not override the subcategory. Set the category to a 6 line weight and the rise/drop subcats to 3 and see if that works.

The pipe category does not override the subcategory. Set the category to a 6 line weight and the rise/drop subcats to 3 and see if that works.

That would solve my issue if I wanted all my pipe systems to have the same line weight - but I need some systems to be heavier than others. I notice I can create new subcategories, but I don't know if that can somehow be useful in solving my issue? Appreciate the help by the way.

Oh, well if you need a few here and there to be a different lineweight then simply select the pipe objects and use the Element Override to set the lineweights individually.

-TZ

... or make filters.
To the best of my knowledge, you cannot control Subcats with Filters, other than a very select few (like Slab Edges). Unfortunately Filters will not work in this instance.

-TZ

I see. I didn't have my head fully around the situation.

Are we talking single line pipe or two line, or does it even matter?

Rise/drop symbol lineweights have been a bit of a thorn in my side as long as I've been using Revit. I'm going to have to revisit it from this angle, if for no other reason than to verify that things have not gotten any better since the last time I checked.

I see. I didn't have my head fully around the situation.

Are we talking single line pipe or two line, or does it even matter?

Rise/drop symbol lineweights have been a bit of a thorn in my side as long as I've been using Revit. I'm going to have to revisit it from this angle, if for no other reason than to verify that things have not gotten any better since the last time I checked.

It was a thorn in my side until I realized I was thinking too hard into it. For Duct, my default lineweights are either 5 or 6. For Duct Drop Subcategories, the lineweight is 3 and style is Hidden 1/16" because of this reason: when it's a drop, it'll show thinner and dashed as I wish. When it's a rise and it goes beyond the Top plane of the View Range, the Rise symbol comes into play and it is a Solid Cross or Slash, and the outer duct is bold as a 5 or 6 lineweight so it overpowers the 3 lineweight with Hidden 1/16" line style. So in the event I do need it to be different, I then just do an Element Override on the drop or riser.

For single lined piping, I keep Pipe and Rise/Drop subcats all the same exact lineweight. It maintains a very consistent schematic look for piping which everyone still likes.

-TZ

I'm doing something very similar, if not exactly what you are doing with ducts. What I like to do is to have the linework for the cross, slash, wye be a lighter weight than the edges.

As to the piping, which most of what I do is single line. We've found that fittings look better at a lighter weight than what the pipes are supposed to be at. (I'd rather make the single line pipes lighter, but that decision was made by those making more money than I, before I started working there.)

Funny thing is, when it comes to this stuff, size/scale does matter.

I sort of found a solution to my issue. Line weight 6 is the heaviest I use, and so I set that as the default line weight for all views in a view template, and similarly rise/drop line weight to 2. Any pipe systems that require a lighter line weight I override by double clicking the pipe system and put in the prefered line weight. This way I'm able to achieve a heavier line weight whilst keeping the rise/drop weight at 2.

But solving this has given me another issue. That's how it always is :P

On the sheet it look like it should according to the chosen rise symbol (clean circle), but when it's printed it takes on the look of a drop symbol. I checked to see if it changed if I selected a different drop symbol, but it didn't. See the attached images. Any ideas on what's going on here?

Image2.JPG

Image1.JPG

The graphic on the right probably is a riser with a tee, I'm assuming.

The thing about single-line Revit piping is you'll soon figure out that fittings have 3D lines embedded in them, and they'll "bleed over" in some views and orientations. This may or may not be the case as I do not have access to your model to confirm, but that's what it sounds like. I've heavily modified the fittings I use to get as close to a clean schematic output as I can get, but there are few exceptions that cannot be controlled without too much sacrifice.

Just as an FYI, you do know how to change the Rise/Drop symbol for the system, correct?

-TZ

Just as an FYI, you do know how to change the Rise/Drop symbol for the system, correct?

I know that yes. However, I've discovered that this is in some way related to the chosen visual style. With the wireframe setting it looks and prints like the image on the right in my previous post. With the other settings it looks right on screen, but still prints wrong. It's only with the realistic setting that it actually looks and prints correctly. I'm lost...

• 2 weeks later...

This issue of things getting masked correctly on screen and plotting incorrectly seems to be coming up quite a bit lately. We are running into this with masking regions in piping accessory symbols. I've been watching the AutoDesk boards but no solutions have come up.