How to work on a model that is skewed

Siberian

Alot of the time arcitectural drawings have real world orientations that might look skewed on screen - even if the building itself is perfectly rectangular. Dependent views is one way that ables me to rotate a view in order to work without tilting my head. Only thing is that it creates a "sub-view" for each of your views. Not much of a deal as I don't have alot of views, but still - is there a different way in which this "skewed-model-issue" can be resolved?

Use UCS you can pick an object "UCS OB" to use as the X axis then type "plan", a good idea idea if you need various angles is UCS S "ucsname", go to a layout in modelspace UCS R "ucsname" plan. Just one little hint dont pick a 3d object.

That applies to Revit also? If so, I learned something today already.....

Alot of the time arcitectural drawings have real world orientations that might look skewed on screen - even if the building itself is perfectly rectangular. Dependent views is one way that ables me to rotate a view in order to work without tilting my head. Only thing is that it creates a "sub-view" for each of your views. Not much of a deal as I don't have alot of views, but still - is there a different way in which this "skewed-model-issue" can be resolved?
Not sure why you suggest that a Dependent View is somehow the way to reorient the Plan, since you can reorient any Plan View. Dependent Views have a very specific use and should not be used for the simple reason of "creating a sub-view".

There are a couple of ways, both of which are equally easy and effective.

1. Create a Scope Box around the area you want to focus on, select the Scope Box and rotate it to whatever angle you want. Then, on any Plan View, in Properties you can apply the Scope Box and it'll reorient the View accordingly. Scope Boxes are intended to be used to apply these boundary and rotation properties to many views and the ability to adjust and maintain them in the future.

2. In any Plan View, show the Crop Boundary, select the edge and simply rotate it to whatever angle you wish. This is good for view orientations on the fly.

You can also turn on the grid in a view and adjust the angle instead of reorienting the entire view. In the Architecture Ribbon Tab, all the way to the right, set the Work Plane to "Show". Click the Work Plan grid edge, make any adjustments in Properties and rotate it.

Use UCS you can pick an object "UCS OB" to use as the X axis then type "plan", a good idea idea if you need various angles is UCS S "ucsname", go to a layout in modelspace UCS R "ucsname" plan. Just one little hint dont pick a 3d object.
This does not apply to Revit.

Not sure why you suggest that a Dependent View is somehow the way to reorient the Plan, since you can reorient any Plan View. Dependent Views have a very specific use and should not be used for the simple reason of "creating a sub-view".

There are a couple of ways, both of which are equally easy and effective.

1. Create a Scope Box around the area you want to focus on, select the Scope Box and rotate it to whatever angle you want. Then, on any Plan View, in Properties you can apply the Scope Box and it'll reorient the View accordingly. Scope Boxes are intended to be used to apply these boundary and rotation properties to many views and the ability to adjust and maintain them in the future.

2. In any Plan View, show the Crop Boundary, select the edge and simply rotate it to whatever angle you wish. This is good for view orientations on the fly.

You can also turn on the grid in a view and adjust the angle instead of reorienting the entire view. In the Architecture Ribbon Tab, all the way to the right, set the Work Plane to "Show". Click the Work Plan grid edge, make any adjustments in Properties and rotate it.

Great stuff. Thanks as always :) Using dependent views also employs the crop view, but I never thought of using it directly in the view itself (I hate being new to things). Also, can I be sure that I'm not moving the actual model with this? That would create serious collaboration issues. I still believe I need to use dependent view in addition to this method since I need to split my view into multiple sheets. That's pretty much what the dependent views are for right?

I can't think of any other reason to use Dependent Views other than area or enlarged plans (AREA A, AREA B, AREA C, etc). Dependent Views keep visual consistency between each area focused on.

Regarding your inquiry about moving the model, you can be assured this isn't happening. To move the model you would have to literally select and move/rotate model elements, or changing the origin/orientation using the Project Relocate tool. So as long as you're not doing those two things, your model isn't moving and you're only manipulating views.

-TZ