Changing dimension size

Thanks for this. Took me a while to find "Properties" on the Tabs, but eventually discovered I had to select the dimension to be altered, then right click and then select on Properties on the menu. Had a bit of trouble locating "Dim scale overall" too, because it was truncated in the menu :) Got there in the end

Perhaps what you wish to do is to MODIFY your Dimstyle?

If so, that would be done in your DIMSTYLE MANAGER, via the MODIFY icon.

Wherein you can create a new style or modify an existing one, and customize about 100 differrent settings to suit your personal needs or preferences.

Thanks Dadgad, that is exactly what I want to do.

On the attached drawing, I modified the dimensions on the bottom and right lines individually using the Properties as suggested by guran above.

For the remaining two dimensions, I modified the DimStyleManager, but cannot get it to be small like the Properties. Having trobule with positioning the red dimension lines too. Do you know of any reference which describes the settings for the Dim lines so I can alter them in DimStyle Manager please?

I have made the text height 0.5 mm in both

polygon.dwg

Edited by PJ01

If you have already modified the properties of a dimension, such that it suits you, select the dimension which you like, then in the right click menu select DIMENSION STYLE > SAVE AS NEW STYLE.

Done deal.

I have tweaked your dwg a bit.

I hope that helps you.

I have not watched the following link, but it is long enough, that I would expect it to help you come to grips with the numerous attributes of a dimension style.

If that leaves any unanswered question, there are lots of others to watch.

polygon.dwg

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks for your help, Dadgad, it is people like you who make this website so good. After watching the video, I think that I now have to have a play with all the settings to see what happens on the illustrative drawing shown in Dim Style Manager. There is so much to learn, just on Dimensions.

I have found the new Dim Style you have created, thanks for doing that, I can learn lots from it

regards,

PJ

Glad I could help you. :beer:

Another good way to learn a lot very quickly, is to enter SYSVDLG, which will take you to the inner sanctum of system variables, the definitive repository of System Variables, and their myriad options.

Scroll down the list until you reach the prefix DIM, then you can use your cursor button to easily flip through and review the various variables which affect Dimensions, of which there are quite a few. It is a lot to take in, but very helpful in the long run.

Make sure that your Tool Tips are turned on in OPTIONS, on the Display tab, then go through each tab in the Dim Style Manager, and if you just hover over each check box, a brief explanation of what it does will be displayed. Most of them also explain the name of the system variable which they control. Once you have identified a system variable which intrigues you, go to SYSVDLG to learn all of the different optional settings. Take the time to set them up how you want them, you'll be glad you did.