Resources to get started with residential drafting?

FirstTimeCAD

I've been searching all over the internet, maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing, but I can't really find much information on getting started. Family friend has offered me a job to make 2D floor plans, not designing them just converting someone else's sketch/idea into AutoCAD . I've been recreating floor plans I've found on Google to get comfortable with AutoCAD, but is there some else I should be doing that would help? Any resources I could follow that would be beneficial? Also suggestions on where to find more detailed floor plans would be nice, the ones I've found on Google don't always have dimensions which is a little annoying.

All advice & suggestions appreciated!

The reason that you don't find many plans that show dimensions is because it is generally considered proprietary information and most firms are showing a generality because any plan is highly customizable. my suggestion would be to get a tape measure, pencil, sketch pad, and an extra set of hands and measure the exterior of a small building/shed as well as the interior and try to reproduce the measured results.

• Like 1

Buy this book: "Architectural Drafting & Design" by Alan Jefferis. An excellent resource when it comes to architectural floor plans, elevations, sections, etc., etc., etc.