CAD links won't work when hosted on OneDrive

Siberian

The files I work on are hosted on OneDrive so that I can also do some work at home when needed. The issue is that my CAD links for some reason won't work at both locations. If I link a file at work, it won't load once I open the project at home. The link will show up in the manage links dialog with the correct relative path, but it won't show up in the model unless I remove it and add it again. Just reloading does nothing. Then it's the same procedure at work the next day. With multiple links this naturally becomes an annoying and tedious task. Any idea why this is so?

A quick Google search will yield results of many topics that discuss using a client-based file synchronization cloud software for "mobile Revit'ing". All search results will show blogs, forums topics and articles that explicitly state to stay away from using these services with Revit. Especially if you are using Revit in a Workshared environment.

You have two viable options with this scenario, and a third option that works but is not as desirable:

1. Use BIM 360 Team, which is a service that requires a subscription. The cost would need to be justified but it's hands down the best solution. My company uses it and nothing else for all our Revit hosting needs.

2. Use a remote environment to log into a host computer and work on the files while they're still on the main local server.

3. Use a VPN. This is less desirable due to performance lags.

I've used all three in all the years I've been using Revit. This is basically it, unless you want to always move files to a local computer and remap Links, which only works if you're not using Revit in a Workshared environment (ie: Central Models with locals, etc). Hope this helps.

-TZ

Thanks for helping out! I too found some indications that OneDrive and Revit aren't best friends. I still don't understand why though, and today I noticed something that confused me even more. The links I mentioned above were architectural dwg-files made in ArchiCAD - and they didn't work well going through OneDrive as I described. Today I received some dwg-files from an engineer that were made with Revit - and they work perfectly - even after going through the OneDrive loop.

I still don't understand why though...
It's because of Revit's supporting files in a Workshare environment. It's constantly writing to these Temp files and the syncing softwares interfere heavily with that. If you do not have a Workshared model then it should be completely fine as it works like DWG or DOC files - one person in at a time and no supporting database files syncing.

Best bet is just to stay away from it, but it sounds like you're going to continue down the road of a Revit-OneDrive relationship. If you do, just beware of potential issues and manage your expectations ahead of time. It may work fine for you, but it may be disastrous. My advice is to be careful is all.

-TZ

• 1 month later...