Cad File Naming

sander35

I work in a company that has thousands of autocad .dwg files in a folder with unique names. The .dwg files are published to a Print folder as a PDF file using the same name as the .dwg file.

When we make a revision to a drawing we do not add the revision to the file name. I am thinking that we should add the revision level to the file names in our database. Therefore, whenever a revision is made, the file name of the .dwg and .pdf file are changed to show the new revision. Is this a good file naming convention?

We do revisions as part of filename few thousand dwg's. We also do not use random names rather have a index for projects that gives us the dwg number, we do these by year 2018001 2018002 etc. I think I saved it as barney rubbles garage can not find it now. Use even excel.

At a past company when we had a revision we would add to the end of the file name RevA or B or what the revision was then we also had a folder labeled "OLD FILES" for the previous files (Revisions)

Be aware it can eat up server space quickly as you now have multiple files of the same size. IT was not happy with our file format.

Good Luck

In our AutoCAD days, we did it this way:

1. The main DWG file is always the "current revision".

2. When a revision is expected, we copy/paste the current file into another folder as an archive, in which we put a suffix on the end of the file name identifying the current revision.

This way things keep flowing but we could always go back if need be. So the first time we have a revision, the current DWG file got copied and the suffix is "Original". Second revision, current DWG file got copied with a suffix "Revision 1". We just kept the main file current, copying as necessary for a record snapshot of the previous revision or phase. We felt that always worked out best for our company standards.

-TZ

• Like 1