A couple of issues with my CAD links

Siberian

I'm having two issues with my CAD links.

1)

I am able to unload it when I need to, but if I then attempt to reload it, it seems to work on it for a second or two as usual - and there is no error message - but when the dialog box closes, the link isn't showing - in any view. I'm not even using OneDrive to store my files at this point. Any experience on this?

2)

A few of my CAD links also display on the level underneath the one they are on without me wanting them to. I've checked that the all levels have underlay base level set to none, but it doesn't change. Using 3D view I can confirm the all links are inserted on the correct level, so I don't know what else to check. Any hints will be appreciated :)

I'm having two issues with my CAD links.

1)

I am able to unload it when I need to, but if I then attempt to reload it, it seems to work on it for a second or two as usual - and there is no error message - but when the dialog box closes, the link isn't showing - in any view. I'm not even using OneDrive to store my files at this point. Any experience on this?

See here first:

https://www.ideateinc.com/blog/2013/01/missing-something-in-revit-view-33

2)

A few of my CAD links also display on the level underneath the one they are on without me wanting them to. I've checked that the all levels have underlay base level set to none, but it doesn't change. Using 3D view I can confirm the all links are inserted on the correct level, so I don't know what else to check. Any hints will be appreciated :)

Sometimes the View Range can pick up the other Links if the Top and Bottom offsets are set to the exact same plane as what the CAD Link is currently residing. Best thing to do is just open V/G > Imported Categories and check/uncheck the ones needed or not needed. Somewhat like a layer control.

Also, for DWG files used as "backgrounds", it's best to link them in, and not import them in. The main reason is linking acts more like an XREF and can be controlled much more effectively, where as importing is like a Block Reference.

-TZ

See here first:

https://www.ideateinc.com/blog/2013/01/missing-something-in-revit-view-33

Sometimes the View Range can pick up the other Links if the Top and Bottom offsets are set to the exact same plane as what the CAD Link is currently residing. Best thing to do is just open V/G > Imported Categories and check/uncheck the ones needed or not needed. Somewhat like a layer control.

Also, for DWG files used as "backgrounds", it's best to link them in, and not import them in. The main reason is linking acts more like an XREF and can be controlled much more effectively, where as importing is like a Block Reference.

Useful list of possibilities that. Using the V/G options instead of unloading/reloading is a good idea - I have to remember that.

I eventually found out what the issue is, but I'm not quite sure how to deal with it. My linked files are initially oriented true north at an unworkable angle, so as you and I discussed in another thread I ended up using a scope box to rotate my views to a more convenient angle. When I link (not import) the DWG files I uncheck the "Orient to view" option. I don't really remember why I ended up doing that in the first place, but I guess that gave me the results I wanted back when I started exploring linked files. So when I unload a link and attempt to reload it again, it ends up where it would have if "Orient to view" had been checked. I've probably done something unwise in order to end up like this, but what would be the best way to clear up my situation?