+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Question Blocks and multiple visibility

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

Hi

I'm getting back into cad and starting to develop some dynamic blocks. Can anyone give me some tips on how to do multiple visibility parameters in LT possibly using look ups. Should I be using blocks within blocks if that makes sense?. Does anyone have any ideas for creating electrical distribution boards using dynamic blocks with attributes. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Computer Details
    Dana W's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    Intel I-5 3330S @ 2.7 Ghz
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    All in one 27" touch & pen
    Discipline
    Construction
    Dana W's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Architectural Millwork Designer/Draftsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Custom commercial millwork.
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2019

Unfortunately one can't get too complicated with visibility states. You can have only one visibility PARAMETER in any one block, whether it is in LT or full AutoCad, but you can have multiple visibility ACTIONS attached to that one parameter. And, the visibility parameter is itself a look-up (drop down list) which is built by picking the visible and invisible objects for each action.

I may be doing it wrong, but I have never once gotten a nested child block to keep any of its dynamic functionality while living inside another parent block. What I get is the child block's basic default state upon insertion, with no dynamic grips showing. Apparently the child parameters don't become parameters of the parent block, and that includes Annotative scaling.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Hi Dana thanks, that's what I'm struggling with tbh as well. Hopefully the more I tinker on the more it all makes sense and becomes more user friendly.

Computer Details
    steven-g's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win 7
    Discipline
    Construction
    steven-g's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Draughtsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    I work in the estimating department of a large building contractor.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Can you post a dwg with a good description of what you are trying to achieve. There is apparently a Lisp around that at least used to allow the creation of multi visibility blocks but that is only in Full Autocad, and it does give some people problems. Multiple visibility is not a built in feature. But you can do various tricks in LT it all depends on what you are trying to do?
    I've just been down graded from 2012LT to full Autocad 2017. I WANT LT BACK

Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Can you run LISPs in LT?

Computer Details
    steven-g's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Win 7
    Discipline
    Construction
    steven-g's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Draughtsman
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    I work in the estimating department of a large building contractor.
    Using
    AutoCAD 2018

Nope I only mentioned it to show that even in Full Autocad multiple visibility states isn't a standard option, and a Lisp someone created still gives problems, it's not what dynamic blocks were designed to do, but you can sometimes fake it.
    I've just been down graded from 2012LT to full Autocad 2017. I WANT LT BACK

Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

It's just a dynamic block to represent say a number of different size distribution boards (schematic view) some with a meter some without. If I could have a block with a drop down for each size and a separate option to show a meter that would be great.

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GIB39 View Post
    It's just a dynamic block to represent say a number of different size distribution boards (schematic view) some with a meter some without. If I could have a block with a drop down for each size and a separate option to show a meter that would be great.
    That sounds easy.

Before applying the Visibility Parameter, get ALL your objects into the block editor. At this point, if any other parameter/action thingies are needed, like stretches for instance, do them before the visibility stuff. You'll want to include the stretch grips and parameters in each relevant visibility state. I simply avoid selecting ANY dynamic grips to be invisible.

Then proceed. You can place the visibility parameter anywhere, and then move the visibility grip where it will be easy to see in modelspace, once all the stuff is in there.

Once the visibility parameter is in place, in the block, there will be one default visibility state. Re-name it what you wish, if you wish. Then add the other visibility states, one at a time. Re-name them anything, like BIG BOARD WITH METER, LITTLE BOARD WITH METER, BIG BOARD NO METER, ETC.
    Then select the proper current visibility state, and tell the program which items to show/not show in that state. Then move on to the next state.

I have found it easier to draw (or insert, copy/paste, whatever) ALL the objects in the block side by side before selecting any visibility. Then I move the objects within the block to where I want them to appear in each state AFTER I am happy that the appearing and disappearing is working the way I want it. It is easier to pick out (eventual) overlapping objects before they are on top of each other.

To follow through on my examples, I'd draw the big board, then the little board beside it, then the meter beside that. Once the objects are appearing and dissapearing propperly, then move each object smack on top of each other if that is where you want them.

It's pretty intuitive once you've done a couple in a test drawing.

Make FULL use of the TEST BLOCK feature within the block editor.
    Last edited by Dana W; 10th Aug 2018 at 04:36 pm.
    The S197 gen Ford Mustang, and the F-4 Phantom both prove the same theory. "With enough power applied, a school bus will fly."

Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 8 64 bit
    Computer:
    Dell XPS ONE 2710
    Motherboard:
    Dunno
    CPU:
    RAM:
    6 Gb
    Graphics:
    On board barely adequate
    Primary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte
    Secondary Storage:
    1 Terrabyte external
    Monitor:
    Discipline
    Construction
    Occupation
    Discipline
    Construction
    Details
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2019

Here is a block I did with five visibility states (not 5 visibility parameters).

It is in Imperial units, with units display set to decimal.

It has two stretches, one for width and one for length, and a non-plotting note.

I do Commercial cabinetry and millwork drafting, so this block is a simple plan view of a plastic laminate kitchen counter (PLAM = Plastic Laminate).

The visibility states all have to do with how the backsplash (blue line) is displayed on the counter plan view, depending on where the walls butt to the counter. A counter will usually have a 4" high "backsplash" along each edge that adjoins a wall.

This block probably saves me 2 minutes per straight run of counter I have to draw.

I have other blocks that pretty much fill up the whole break room/kitchen with cabinetry; plan views, elevations, and sections. This includes cabinet door and drawer elevations with three visibility states and two, 2 way stretches, that is they stretch in two directions from the middle at the same time, with one grip adjustment. There is one 2 way stretch per axis (2D X, Y).

We also do a ton of high end completely custom work where I don't get to use blocks at all.
    Attached Files

Discipline
    Electrical
    Using
    AutoCAD LT 2018

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I am currently not at a PC to try this but this sounds like what my fall back plan would of been. I thought I could of rationalised the list distribution board sizes by half if I had a separate meter option as well if that makes sense? I'll respond later when I get chance to look through your post properly. Many thanks for responding.