Nested XREF issue.

Bob658

I'll try and keep this simple. I have 3 files. In file A is base information. In file B is an xref of file A. Whilst in file B I have changed the appearance of file A by switching layers off and changing layer colours and linetypes. I then create file C and xref file B into file C. However, all the information relating to file A reverts back to how it is set in its original file and not as I changed it in file B.

How do I get it to automatically show the xref of file A to be the same as the changes in file B when I xref B into file C?

Check your system variables VISRETAIN, VISRETAINMODE, and XREFOVERRIDE. If that doesn't help, we may need more information.

I have tried the system variables you highlighted but to no avail. I have attached 2 files to try and help explain a bit better. File A contains the information I receive and I don't edit. I xref file A into file B and use the layer table to make adjustments. This forms my base model. I then xref file B into other files (file C etc.) from which I plot. However when I xref file B into file C it doesn't take through the changes I made to the layer table in file B. What I want is for the changes made to the layer table in file B to be carried through to file C automatically.

File A.dwg

File B.dwg

Take a look at this page. You can modify layer settings for drawing A in drawing B, but those changes don't propagate to drawing C. Bug or feature? You decide. So their solution is to save the layer state in A and load it into C.

Here's another page. If you change all the layers in drawing A to one color (one command), you can grey them out.