Links not aligning with my models base point

Siberian

I've received a dwg-file from an architect, and it shows the project outline in relation to a base point and its local coordinates. I was under the impression that if I specify the coordinates of my model's base point to match the ones in the dwg-file, then those two points would align once I link the dwg. Is this not right? Because it doesn't. I tried opening the dwg in AutoCAD and found that the base point was indeed positioned at the said coordinates - but once I link it to my model it is the dwg's 0,0,0 point that aligns with my model's base point. Am I missing something?

Can you move it into place?

Origins are tricky for people of AutoCAD backgrounds. You have the Survey Point, the Project Base Point, and then the internal origin which can be the Shared Coordinate. Are you familiar with these items?

-TZ

Can you move it into place?

Origins are tricky for people of AutoCAD backgrounds. You have the Survey Point, the Project Base Point, and then the internal origin which can be the Shared Coordinate. Are you familiar with these items?

Sure I can move it - I've just been taught that you should refrain from moving stuff like that around in Revit because coordinated IFC models end up being...not coordinated. That being said I'm pretty sure it'll be in the right place if I end up moving it.

I believe I've understood how Project Base Point and Survey Point work - even though I most definitely have a AutoCAD background. I haven't looked into Shared Coordinates yet, but I will.

Sure I can move it - I've just been taught that you should refrain from moving stuff like that around in Revit because coordinated IFC models end up being...not coordinated. That being said I'm pretty sure it'll be in the right place if I end up moving it.
You can move things around all day so as long as you're not using Shared Coordinates. But we're talking DWG files, not other Revit models. That's where I would advise you go a different route. For DWG Links, I line up via Column Grid location and call it a day.

I believe I've understood how Project Base Point and Survey Point work - even though I most definitely have a AutoCAD background. I haven't looked into Shared Coordinates yet, but I will.
Good, it's rare that people of AutoCAD backgrounds figure out these origins in relation to each other, especially when Shared Coordinates come into play, Project North vs True North, Sea Level Elevations, etc.

-TZ